5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2010 4:16 AM by comment_1

Claris/AppleWorks to FileMaker

Bensheim

Title

Claris/AppleWorks to FileMaker

Background:

Run small publishing company. 

Have used ClarisWorks for years to run ~1,000 customer database. It worked perfectly - on OS9.

Upgraded hardware and software to Mac OSX, had to buy AppleWorks to continue to run database.

AppleWorks' label printing does not work. Labels unacceptable. Entire fields missing, no slide up/sideways/concatentation. Tried a script, gave up, moved entire database to FileMaker Pro 9.

After ~8 hours' solid work, have transferred entire database to FileMaker Pro9 and successfully printed out mailing labels for next week's print run. I did this by converting the AppleWorks db to ASCII text, importing that into FM, rearranging field destinations.

Question:

Once a week we also produce invoices. This is typically ~20-30 customer details which are in main database.

I can see no way of Copying Records and Pasting them into another FM database set up for this purpose: just to generate those address labels for invoice purposes.

I can see no way of selecting more than one record, manually, and hiding the deselected ones: which works in Claris/AppleWorks.

All I want is to select more than one record, copy to small DB and print off those 20-30 labels. 

Workaround:

Eventually today I fired up the ASCII spreadsheet, deleted all but the 20-30 records I wanted, and imported them into the smaller FM database, in order to print out those labels only. 

Is there any easier way of doing this? If not, I will have to do it every week. 

To save you asking:

1. Trying "Find" for the invoicees is not that easy because I have run into Date Format difficulties which are an unnecessary time-waster. I can see the records I want to select, I don't need to have FM "find" them for me.

2. Copy and Paste into another FM database does not work either. All it copies is the text entries and does not place them in the identical fields awaiting in the identically-formatted Single Labels database set up.

I hope this is coherent and that someone knows a faster solution than that which I've hacked today.

Summary:

How the heck do you copy multiple Customer Details, intact, and put them in another FileMaker database just for label printing? 

Thanks - 

• 1. Re: Claris/AppleWorks to FileMaker
          comment_1

Bensheim wrote:

All I want is to select more than one record, copy to small DB and print off those 20-30 labels. 

Trying "Find" for the invoicees is not that easy because I have run into Date Format difficulties which are an unnecessary time-waster. I can see the records I want to select, I don't need to have FM "find" them for me.

If you are a single user, it should be very easy to select records by marking them (e.g. by entering "1" into a Mark field), then do a find for marked and print them.

That said, I'd suggest you solve your "date format difficulties", whatever they may be. Should pay off in the long run.

• 2. Re: Claris/AppleWorks to FileMaker
            Bensheim

Thanks for replying. I had a look at FileMaker Pro9 Help : there is no entry for Mark fields.

I went to the test-database, made a new field : there is no function for Mark field.

The date format difficulties? Hitherto I have entered "Sub Due" as Jan 14, 2010, for instance. Today I modified a couple of records to show that they've paid up. The date entry now exists only as this format : 14/01/2010. Therefore when I sort on Date, those two modified dates do not get into Date Order. All the others, with month names full-out, imported from Claris/AppleWorks, do sort in date order. 

Therefore, as the year progresses, each "Sub Due" will be modified and will not sort. 

TBH I'm not that bothered about that, it is merely irritating. The "live" database exists on another computer, running under AppleWorks and works perfectly. The only reason I need FileMaker is to print off labels.

Just guessing here : is "Mark" field a non-FM Pro9 function?

• 3. Re: Claris/AppleWorks to FileMaker
              comment_1

Uhm, "Mark" is just a name I picked for the field - you can name it whatever you like.

A convenient way to mark records is to make this field a Number field and format it as a checkbox, using a custom value list comprising of  a single value "1".

I am afraid I didn't follow your description of the date issue: is the field of type Date? If so, you cannot import text dates such as "Jan 14, 2010" into it, or you'll get invalid dates (which won't sort correctly). The format for data entry (incl. import) must follow the short date format set for the file (inherited from the OS).

If it's a Text field, then it won't sort correctly (unless all entries are in the same month and year).

• 4. Re: Claris/AppleWorks to FileMaker
                Bensheim

That worked. A simple and neat solution, and much easier than the way I was doing it.

Thank you!

• 5. Re: Claris/AppleWorks to FileMaker
                  comment_1
                     Let me just stress again that this solution is NOT suitable for shared files where each user wants to mark their own set.