3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2014 6:32 AM by philmodjunk

Clear fields after entry without deleting records

sevenmf

Title

Clear fields after entry without deleting records

Hi! I'm a newbie in filemaker.

I need help in making a script. I need to have like a save button that will clear the fields after i have entered all info without deleting that info i have entered. I tried the "clear fields and set fields" but it seems to clear everything without saving the data. I have sensitive data that i don't want lying around. Clicking on the New Button is not my go to option since it would just create another empy customer data. Can anybody give me a step by step instruction. Appreciate it with all my heart! 

• 1. Re: Clear fields after entry without deleting records
          philmodjunk

Put what you are doing essentially, is writing stuff down on a chalk board and then erasing the chalk board. You'll need to either copy the data down from the chalk board to somewhere else or set the chalkboard aside and start writing on a new chalk board.

The simplest method is to take advantage of the fact that FileMaker saves your data automatically. Once you have entered data into all the fields on the layout, select New Record from the Records menu or press the keyboard shortcut for that menu option. This starts a new blank record. On your screen, it will look like all the fields were cleared.

The more complex method (I wouldn't do it this way without a reason) is to make the fields on your layout fields with global storage and set up a script that "Saves" the data by creating a new record and that uses a series of set field steps to copy the data from the global fields to corresponding fields in the new record.

• 2. Re: Clear fields after entry without deleting records
            sevenmf

Thanks for the reply! Yeah i know for a fact that FileMaker will automatically save the data entry. I think we can make it work somehow.

I think what i really wanted was to secure the data that is entered into the field because it can be easily edited or erased by accident when a file is shown. One example is the "Show All" button. I hope you understand what i am saying. 

• 3. Re: Clear fields after entry without deleting records
              philmodjunk

I can understand the sentences but there are a multitude of possible user scenarios and I don't know which apply to your database project and which don't without a lot more detail to your description.