2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2011 9:08 AM by KevinPfeiffer

Clearing and Detecting Variable Repetitions

deltatango

Title

Clearing and Detecting Variable Repetitions

I have a few questions.

1) Is is possible to count the number of repetitions of a variable or global variable using a function?

2) is there a way to clear a (global) variable's repetitions easily?

I don't currently know of a way for 1.

For 2, I usually make a script and loop:

set variable $c = 1

set variable $$var[$c] = ""

set variable $c = $c + 1

Exit Loop If $c > 100

But this is annoying. There should be some unsetVariable script step or something...

Thanks

• 1. Re: Clearing and Detecting Variable Repetitions
          comment_1

I don't think so. The term "repetitions" is somewhat misleading when applied to a variable. There is no connection between repetitions of the "same" variable - each repetition is a variable on its own. Basically, the repetition number is just another element of a variable's name.

Note also that a variable can have non-continuous repetitions, e.g. $var[1} and $var[356], with nothing in-between.

• 2. Re: Clearing and Detecting Variable Repetitions
            KevinPfeiffer

There is this script step/function (notice the nice feature of being able to clear a range.):*

Clear Variable

Purpose 
            Format 
            Clear Variable [ <variable name> {[<repetition number>{..<repetition number>}]} ]
            Options 
            Click Specify to set the variable options:
             •
            Name is the name of the variable you want to clear.  Prefix the name with $ for a local variable or $$ for a global variable. If no  prefix is added, $ is automatically added to the beginning of the  name.
             •
            Repetition is the repetition (index) number of the  variable you want to create. If no repetition is specified, the default is  1; range is optional.

* Unfortunately it does not exist (at least not in Filemaker 11). But there's the brute-force method: close the file and re-open... :-(

-K (not a pro, just a user)