4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2011 2:06 PM by philmodjunk

Clearing found set in reports

vChen

Title

Clearing found set in reports

Hi,

I created a button that would perform find and then go to a report layout to summarize some data.  It works nicely the first time.  However when I update information, it doesn't seem to change.  Some old records that I've deleted are still appearing in the report.

Closing out of FM and restarting it seems to help a little, but again old deleted data keeps reappearing.  Is there a way to clear the found set when I exit the report layout?

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks in advance!

v

• 1. Re: Clearing found set in reports
          philmodjunk

If deleted records are "reappearing", they weren't deleted in the first place. Once you delete a record, it's gone from every layout that might refer to it.

Several possible explanations come to mind:

1. There were duplicate records in your table so deleting one record left the duplicate behind to still be part of your report.
          2. You are clicking a button that uses a script to mark a record for deletion, but it isn't really deleting the record. Instead, scripts, finds etc. are supposed to omit all records thus marked as "deleted".
          3. You deleted a parent record, but child records in a related table were left in place because that cascading delete option wasn't specified in Manage | Database | Relationships and these child records are what you are seeing in your report.
          • 2. Re: Clearing found set in reports
            vChen

hmmm... thanks for the troubleshooting tips!

However, I don't think there are duplicate records, as all I have to test the prototype is only 2 records now (previously 4 records).  I performed a find to look for these "deleted records" in my main layout meant for data entry and it did not produce results, which is good.

I also checked my relationships and I had checked off the box for deleting records from one table if it is deleted in the related table.

It's really strange...when I add/delete new records, and go to the report layout, it updates just fine. 

However, I just can't seem to delete this set of really old records that I created during the beginning phase of the db design.  I even tried to create a script that would omit records that contain these old values but it still shows up.

• 3. Re: Clearing found set in reports
              vChen

Oh I fixed it!

The in-between layout where the button (that is supposed to link the data entry layout and the summary report layout) was created was set up so that it was showing records from the wrong table.  When I changed it to the correct table, everything snapped into place.

I'm really glad it works, but honesetly though, I don't understand why it was still showing those "deleted records"...especially since those "deleted reccords" doesn't even belong in that "wrong table".

• 4. Re: Clearing found set in reports
                philmodjunk

I'm really glad it works, but honesetly though, I don't understand why it was still showing those "deleted records"...especially since those "deleted reccords" doesn't even belong in that "wrong table".

You might try setting up simple table view layouts of every data source table in your system. (Every table listed in Manage | Database | Tables) and examining what you see their while analyzing how your relationships and layouts display what you find in these tables. You've got some records of some type in one of those tables or you wouldn't be able to se them in your report.