5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2013 6:57 AM by philmodjunk

Click field in output layout to change to input layout

migs

Title

Click field in output layout to change to input layout

Friends:

How do I set a field in an output layout such that when I click it (or double click it) that the layout changes from the output layout to an input layout with that record?

Thanks amigos,

Migs

• 1. Re: Click field in output layout to change to input layout
          rvarghes

I would use a script that is triggers when you click the field to change your layout from the input layout to the output layout.  Perhaps other have better ideas.

• 2. Re: Click field in output layout to change to input layout
            migs

Hi Robin

The solution must be simpler since I have another database (and I am a very rudimentary FileMaker creator) that I made in the previous version and it does it.  No scripts at all.  I tried seeing in the old database how it was implemented but I cant see anything at all to give me a clue.

Thanks for your help.  It's not a critical answer to find out for me but it would make my database a bit cooler.

You are most kind to have answered.

Migs

• 3. Re: Click field in output layout to change to input layout
              philmodjunk

Why can't it use a script?

You can certainly specify go to Layout as an option in Button Setup.... for turning your field into a button, but this is functionally identical to creating a a script with go to layout as it's only functional step and then using the perform script button option. Both produce identical results, but many developers stick exclusively to the Perform Script option so that they can use the button (or at least it's script) with multiple layouts and then, should they ever need to update what takes place with the button click, they can modify the script and this one change will affect all layouts were the script can be performed instead of having to go from layout to layout updating individual button objects.

Either way, you really can't get any simpler than that.

• 4. Re: Click field in output layout to change to input layout
                migs

Yes Phil!  You are brilliant and I am dumb.  I had tried that but erroneously selected the same layout as I was using so it didn't do anything.  Now it works. 

By the way, do you have a code snippet that I can study to implement the script method and learn from it?

To both you and Robin my thanks!

Migs

• 5. Re: Click field in output layout to change to input layout
                  philmodjunk

It reads exactly the same as the button option:

Go to Layout ["yourLayoutNameHere" (YourTableOccurrenceForTheLayoutHere) ]

You simply select this script step and then use the drop down at bottom right to select the desired layout.

Note: Every button option corresponds to and is exactly the same as a script step in the list of available script steps that you get down the left hand side of the script editor.