8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2011 3:09 PM by thomasgardner

Clicking a field in Layout Edit - copies it..

ScottSpencer

Title

Clicking a field in Layout Edit - copies it..

When I click a field when I try to edit a layout, it copies it. I cannot drag, resize or edit the fields using my mouse. 

This is the only application I have that problem - so is it a FM problem? - or something with my computer? 

• 1. Re: Clicking a field in Layout Edit - copies it..
          FentonJones

Could be either your version of FileMaker (but I don't remember it doing that in modern versions, at least on my computer). Also, is your version the latest update for that version (I think a couple of first releases have had these weird layout glitches, which were then fixed; cannot remember exactly which; but for me, a long time ago). There can also be some incompatibilities between newer OS versions vs old FileMaker versions (especially on Macs). So please post your FileMaker version, platform and OS version. It is not a common bug, but it happens.

• 2. Re: Clicking a field in Layout Edit - copies it..
            RickWhitelaw

Hmmm. . . . I would re-install FMP. I can't imagine what's going on here. Anyway, that's what I would try. I'm sure other contributors will have different suggestions.

• 3. Re: Clicking a field in Layout Edit - copies it..
              philmodjunk

Option-drag (mac) or ctrl-drag (windows) will duplicate a layout object. Any chance your mouse or keyboard isn't working exactly right? If you have any available, you might try swapping out the mouse and keyboard to see if that makes any difference.

• 4. Re: Clicking a field in Layout Edit - copies it..
                ScottSpencer

Gents, 

I did try to re-install FileMaker. 

To give more info:  I'm using FM 11.02, on  MB Pro, with all the latest updates, et al. 

I have tried working with my layouts with just the trackpad and my external mouse.  I know about the different tricks to "force" a copy, however I am simply clicking on it - and dragging it to a new location - just trying to edit the layout!  The only way at the moment to get the fields or labels to move is to use an arrow key and..  click.... click... click.....

I have tried even older versions of FM, and I still experience the same problem - now matter what mouse/trackpad I interface with - and those mice and pads work perfectly in aspect/application , except Filemaker....

AHhhhhh!!!  

• 5. Re: Clicking a field in Layout Edit - copies it..
                  philmodjunk

Any chance you have a control panel set with an option that affects your mouse and track pad function? Seems like FileMaker thinks the option key is down everytime you drag your field around. Does this happen with other layout objects? (Can you drag a button around without getting a copy?)

Have you tried trashing the preferences file for FileMaker?

• 6. Re: Clicking a field in Layout Edit - copies it..
                    thomasgardner

I have exactly the same problem.

It began a few months ago with Filemaker 8.5,(also, the databases all starting asking for a password that I had not set. partially resolved by looking at the online problems and seeing that a username of Admin and blank password works).

However the new inability to move or resize a field in Layout without copying it drove me nuts, and I bought Filemaker 11 in the hope that all would be sorted out. It has not solved the problem.

If I reboot the computer the problem seems to go away for a while, but then comes back.

There do not seem to be any filemaker pro11 preferences, so I cant trash them.

System is : Powerbook pro,  Mac OS is 10.6.6 and Filemaker is 11.0v3  

Has anyone found an answer yet?

Many thanks

THomas

• 7. Re: Clicking a field in Layout Edit - copies it..
                      philmodjunk

Do you have any other applications running? Did you add anything about the same time this behavior started appearing? I may be remembering wrong, but I thought that at least one user discovered this was happening due to other software that they had installed on their system...

• 8. Re: Clicking a field in Layout Edit - copies it..
                        thomasgardner

In answer to Phil - now that I think about it the problems all seem to coincide with my upgrade of the OS to Snow leopard. 

I cant think of any other software that changed around that time.

As with Scott, filemaker is the only application affected.

Best wishes

Thomas