10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2012 6:05 PM by davidanders

Clicking a phone number on an iPad but use an iPhone to dial out

brian.curran

Title

Clicking a phone number on an iPad but use an iPhone to dial out

Hi,
           This is a bit of a long shot but here goes, we issue iPads and iPhones to our staff and one of them has asked if the following is possible:

"When browsing a record on the iPad, can we click a phone number field and send the number to our iPhone so that it dials out?"

Thanks
           Brian.

• 2. Re: Clicking a phone number on an iPad but use an iPhone to dial out
          davidanders

VOIP or Skype, seems so.  This was the 13th or 17th link I followed in the search.

http://www.jonn8.com/dialectic/

System Requirements

•           Mac OS X 10.4+ – Including OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
          •      
          •           An External Telephone or a VoIP Account & an Internet Connection
          •      
          •           Any of the following Contact Management Applications:           

•                     Address Book (Contacts)
            •                
            •                     Marketcircle Daylite
            •                
            •                     Microsoft Entourage or Outlook
            •                
            •                     Now Contact
            •                
            •                     Palm Desktop
            •           

• 3. Re: Clicking a phone number on an iPad but use an iPhone to dial out
            brian.curran

Thanks David, the Dialectic looks quite interesting...

• 4. Re: Clicking a phone number on an iPad but use an iPhone to dial out
              davidanders

another link explaining something I did not know

How to Dial a Phone Number

Dec 12, 2009   //   by Derek van Vliet   //   Development  //  3 Comments

photo-4

With so many awesome games and apps on the iPhone, it is easy to forget that it can actually be used to make phone calls. No, really, it’s true! And as is the case with so many other pieces of functionality, this is easy to accomplish with the iPhone SDK.

Like other phones, the iPhone supports the tel application protocol in URLs. This means that all we need to use is the trusty openURL method of the UIApplication class. We have previously discussed this method when pre-composing emails and, believe it or not, opening a URL.

The Code

Here is how to dial a phone number from your iPhone app in one line of code:

[[UIApplication sharedApplication] openURL:[NSURL URLWithString:@"tel:555-555-5555"]];

Dialing From a Web Page

You can also put links in your web pages that dial a phone number on the iPhone by using the tel protocol like so:

<a href="tel:555-555-5555">Dial 555-555-5555</a>

• 5. Re: Clicking a phone number on an iPad but use an iPhone to dial out
                davidanders

This may be useful

http://pushdialer.com/
                     Initiate outbound phone calls on your iPhone from your computer using Push Notifications.

http://pushdialer.com/integration/filemaker.html

Download Example Database
                          If you are interested in learning more about integrating PushDialer with your FileMaker database, please download the example database below. You will also need this file if you wish to import our “Dial Number with PushDialer” custom script into your database.

Please Note: You must have the PushDialer iPhone app installed on your iPhone and the Mac Desktop Components installed on your Mac in order to establish a pairing between your iPhone and Mac and allow FileMaker to dial your iPhone.

• 6. Re: Clicking a phone number on an iPad but use an iPhone to dial out
                  davidanders

Your experience and success or failure might be of interest to others. Thanks.

• 7. Re: Clicking a phone number on an iPad but use an iPhone to dial out
                    brian.curran

Thanks for the links David, I downloaded a demo of the Dialectic program to my MacBook and it seems to work fine. Phone numbers on websites and in documents need to be copied and CTRL clicked to be dialled which is a bit more than I wanted to do with an iPad.

I had a look at my Skype settings last night as that used to highlight phone numbers so that they could be clicked on websites but couldn't find the relevant section, will have another look later.

PushDialler with FM integration looks even better, as it has clickable fields. I'll contact them to see if it will work from an iPad running FM12 to an iPhone and will report back here...

Thanks
                         Brian.

• 8. Re: Clicking a phone number on an iPad but use an iPhone to dial out
                      brian.curran

A quick update:

PushDialler works great with my MacBook and iPhone using their iPhone app and Mac desktop components. I converted their .fp7 database to .fmp12 and imported their script into my database. A button pointing to that script pushes the phone number to the phone. An annoying confirmation appears but there doesn't seem any way around that.

I've contacted them to see if they have an iPad version but this seems doubtful as there is no mention of it on their website.

• 9. Re: Clicking a phone number on an iPad but use an iPhone to dial out
                        brian.curran

Unfortunately, it looks like PushDialler may be a dead end. Their last Twitter post was way back in April and despite sending emails and tweets over the past week, nobody has replied...

• 10. Re: Clicking a phone number on an iPad but use an iPhone to dial out
                          davidanders

FROM http://www.scoop.it/t/fm-news

http://cimbura.com/tech/2012/11/12/dialing-your-phone-from-filemaker/

Dialing Your Phone From FileMaker
                          November 12, 2012 By Tim Cimbura

I’ve been searching for a solution so that I can EASILY link FileMaker and the phone for a long time. The built-in “Dial” command only works from an application running on the iPhone with FileMaker Go…not from a desktop or laptop running FileMaker.

Day in and day out I’m using FileMaker via fmIgnite to manage contacts. I look people up in the database and call them all the time. I consider this to be somewhat tedious (relatively). See the number, pick up the phone, tap it into the phone and connect.

I do have AppleScripts set up to export the contacts with phone numbers to the Mac OS Address Book…but I don’t want everyone I call to be in the Address Book…and it takes a while to do that and wait for iCloud to sync it to my iPhone. Even then, it takes several taps on the phone to find that contact on the iPhone and connect.

Last week along came the perfect solution. It’s almost magical. It uses Apple’s push notification service to dial the number. So no matter how your iPhone is connected, 3G, EDGE, 4G, LTE, or Wi-Fi, it just works. To dial a number now, I simply click on a little phone icon in my FileMaker database next to the phone number and in a split second my iPhone prompts me to dial it. One tap and I’m connected.

The little miracle working application is called PushDialer.

Here’s the setup procedure:

1.           Download and install the PushDialer app on your iPhone ($2.99).
                          3.           Download the Mac OS app from http://pushdialer.com and install it on your Mac. (It’s implemented as preference pane.)
                          5.           Open your System Preferences… and click on the PushDialier icon.
                          7.           Follow the steps to pair your iPhone with your Mac.

here’s even a PushDialer integration guide for FileMaker with a sample database.

I modified the scripts to create a general Dial script with 2 parameters: phone# and name. I also have a small custom function called “PhoneConvert” that cleans up the phone number when necessary. The phone button on the FileMaker layout just calls this script, and works its magic to dial.

I can see this as saving me several minutes every day. Besides, it’s kind of fun in a geeky kind of way.

Right now there is no solution like this for Windows…but there is an opportunity for someone to develop this.