8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2010 7:03 PM by RickWhitelaw

Clicking away from field sends me to top of record

neu

Title

Clicking away from field sends me to top of record

I have a set of records that are about 5 pages long when printed  out -- they are contracts for rental of a facility, with text and relational fields interspersed. When I enter data in fields, and set the data, FM V10 returns me to the very top of the record, which is disorienting and slows down the entry because I have to scroll back down again to the next field to be entered. I understand I can fix this by using the Tab Order to take me to the next field, and by setting Tab or Enter as the method, but I and others using the system habitually click away from the field into black space to set the field. Is there a way I can program the record to stay in place on the screen if I set the field by clicking away into blank space?  Thanks.

• 1. Re: Clicking away from field sends me to top of record
          hbrendel

This does not happen in my databases. Probably I'm understanding you wrongly.

Could you elaborate about this phenomenon? What exactly are you doing and what are you expecting?

Also more details about your system configuration would be helpful. 

• 2. Re: Clicking away from field sends me to top of record
            davidanders

Why use a Print Form Layout to do Data Entry?

Wouldn't it make more sense to have a layout on half a page to do the data entry? 

• 3. Re: Clicking away from field sends me to top of record
              neu
                 Thanks for your interest and for quick reply. Perhaps I can group all the data entry in another layout which is much shorter -- I was trying to lay out the entry in a way that would flow logically for people who have to handle the contracting but who are not necessarily Filemaker-savvy. I'll consider how I might make this work as you suggest re a simpler, shorter data entry layout. 
              • 4. Re: Clicking away from field sends me to top of record
                neu

Thanks for commenting -- appreciated. What's happening is that when I scroll down a screen's-length or more, and enter something in either a number field or a text field, and click away into blank space to set the field, the screen shifts me back to the top of the form, (or, more accurately, to the very bottom of the header -- interesting) and in order to enter into the next field down I have to scroll all the way down again.

This application has about 5-6 layouts, and it is only in the main contract-creation layout that I have this problem, which makes me think I must have inadvertently toggled some setting incorrectly. The phenomenon does NOT occur in the other layouts, each of which is shorter than the main one, but which is longer than a single screen's length.

If you have the time, it might be easiest if I zip the file (it's easy to email in that form) and send it to you directly -- you might be able to spot right away what is going on. If you're amenable, please email me at neu@verizon.net. I'd appreciate any advice/opinion you might be able to give. Thanks.

• 5. Re: Clicking away from field sends me to top of record
                  davidanders

It is possible that your tab order settings are very different from the one non working to the others?

Granted it is unlikely to be the problem, but...

Why not tab to next field, rather than clicking outside the field?

Could there be an invisible field at that location? Select all in Layout Mode should show invisible things. 

It is possible that the layout has subtle damage.

Maybe doing a Save As smaller and testing?

Maybe doing a Save As Clone and iimporting from the original and testing? 

I am flailing here, if you did not notice. 

• 6. Re: Clicking away from field sends me to top of record
                    neu

David --

Those are all interesting possibilities, and some are techniques that I have not used before -- will do some experimenting. As to flailing, I do it all the time -- it is sometimes the surest way to learn something new --! Thanks --

Bob Neu

• 7. Re: Clicking away from field sends me to top of record
                      neu
                         Additional: I did test the tab order and it seems normal, but will look more closely ---
                      • 8. Re: Clicking away from field sends me to top of record
                        RickWhitelaw

I deal with contracts on a daily basis within FMPA. I found early on that a long form contract often has surprisingly little data needed to be "filled out" if most of the data comes from related tables. Therefore on all my print layouts of all contracts and forms, all fields are not enterable in Browse mode. A simple and small "input" layout can populate a long contract quite easily and it's a simple matter to tab (or click) to where you want to go because the screen simply does not scroll. Data input layouts are a huge time-saver! I don't see contracts until they pop out of the printer.

RW