1 2 Previous Next 26 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2013 8:56 AM by philmodjunk

Clicking here, updates there....

JoeFournier

Title

Clicking here, updates there....

I want to click on one record and have the contents displayed in the window below.  see image.

how do I make the 2 fields work with each other where clicking on the arrow displays the email related to the subject and time

example.jpg

• 1. Re: Clicking here, updates there....
          JoeFournier

oh and the email that is currently displayed, is not related to either of the 2 listed above, it is the last email recieved by the system, it will change as new mail is downloaded

• 2. Re: Clicking here, updates there....
            philmodjunk

oh and the email that is currently displayed, is not related to either of the 2 listed above, it is the last email recieved by the system, it will change as new mail is downloaded

Huh?

Until I scrolled down, the answer was obvious: Go To Related Records can be used to pop up a window showing the portal record clicked. But if the data in the window you want to see isn't "related to either of the 2 listed above", then this request makes no sense.

I must assume that you meant that the data in the second window shows the format but does not show the intended content and that you DO want the related data from the portal. In which case, Go To Related Records is the tool to use.

• 3. Re: Clicking here, updates there....
              JoeFournier

Being a Novice here, I see I better get better at describing what I am trying to say....  that being said

when the contact layout is opened, mail is displayed in the lower section,  currently referencing the picture I added to this post earlier,

the 2 subject lines do not match the email being displayed in the box.

What I am trying to get to happen is several things actually,

first, the most recent email should be loaded when the contact page is opened

then, by clicking on the arrow, that should change the view in the bottom window to the corresponding email

clicking the red x would obviously delete the record.

as emails are sent and recieved, they would be recorded in the top section listing only the subject, date, time, and inbound or outbound mail marker.

I hope that makes more sense.

DO I program the blue arrow to perform a script, which it calls the body of the message based on the originating email and subject?

• 4. Re: Clicking here, updates there....
                JoeFournier

okay, I think I made a little progress this evening, while I am not sure how I made that progress not so sure, so here is what is happening now, finally I am able to click on one of the emails listed on the top and it pops open a new window and displays the email, now while I want that display to show up in the window below the email list, at least it doing something is better than the nothing I was getting, but the odd thing is only the first record is clickable and it pulls the wrong email out. 

• 5. Re: Clicking here, updates there....
                  JoeFournier

Getting closer.... I think,  found out I could display either the HTML Version using $$path, or in a text window ::body

Still have not figured out how to get the right email to display when selected, and no clue why only the first one in the list is always a link, but none of the others.  hmmmmm

• 6. Re: Clicking here, updates there....
                    philmodjunk

From what you have posted, I cannot tell what determines which will be the "right email".

You also appear to be using a web browser? Why do you use a web browser for this? Is it info from a web page that you need to display?

I see a portal in your last screen shot. The 2nd portal row reads "6789-From" in the From field in that row. I looks like this is a record for a specific email. Do you want that specific email to appear when the arrow is clicked? Is that data in fields of that record in the portal row? or ???

• 7. Re: Clicking here, updates there....
                      JoeFournier

i uploaded a blank copy if you want to see it.

the 3 emails in the list have nothing to do with the body of the message that is displayed, its pulling the mens warehouse from somewhere, but not sure where.

Just found out about the web browser part,  it will display plain text or HTML enabled,  had both of them up figuring I would use the one I could get to work.

the  "6789-From"  I put there just to help me find the correct information for each line,  that number is associated with other parts of the email, so i thought if I could get all thise together then I would have the right email subject with the right message body.

• 8. Re: Clicking here, updates there....
                        philmodjunk

The 3 emails in the list have nothing to do with the body of the message that is displayed

Then why do you place an arrow button next to each one if they have nothing to do with the message you want to display?

And this does not tell me what message nor from where in your database you want to get the data that thus appears....

• 9. Re: Clicking here, updates there....
                          JoeFournier

thats the thing, clicking onthe little blue arrow should bring up that email into the lower section,  currently it does not do that, currently it does nothing.

the message that is currently being displayed from mens warehouse is a message from a few weeks ago that for whatever reason is displaying that message

• 10. Re: Clicking here, updates there....
                            philmodjunk

And where in your system is "that email"?

Each portal row shows a different record from a related table. If that record or a record in a table linked to that record contains the data you want to pop up in that other window, then Go To Related Records can be used to open a window with that record displayed in it. This is what I have suggested from the beginning.

If that is what you are doing and you aren't seeing the correct data, then that would suggest a problem with the relationships involved or in how you set up the GTRR script step.

• 11. Re: Clicking here, updates there....
                              JoeFournier

I uploaded the file to a page so anyone could download it,  it requires a plug in dacons mailit,  I will also just throw this out there but if someone could help me and needs the plug in I could buy a license for you as well, I think it was only 60.00 for the plug in.

here is the link.  there is a part of me that would prefer to add the sending and recieving of email to my current solution, but I think thats the really hard way to go.

http://www.selectedblogs.com/filemaker/EmailContact.fmp12

• 12. Re: Clicking here, updates there....
                                JoeFournier

okay still trying to figure this click the arrow and it will display the cooresponding email in the space below,  I use the related record as suggested, but how does the system know where to put that data when I click the arrow to display the email body?

• 13. Re: Clicking here, updates there....
                                  JoeFournier

started over.   so if i do it this way I can get the date, subject, and message all together on one page, its not quite the click and it opens in the lower window, but for now I think I could make this work

• 14. Re: Clicking here, updates there....
                                    philmodjunk

This still does not answer the question: WHERE in your system do you store the data you are trying to pop up in that second window after you click a button in the portal row?

A screen shot of manage | Database | Relationships with some added info identifying which "box" in the relatinships is selected for your layout, which is specified for the portal and which contains the data you want to open in the new window would be very helpful.

1 2 Previous Next