4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2012 12:24 PM by JasonSnyder

Client no longer responding; connection closed

JasonSnyder

Title

Client no longer responding; connection closed

My setup is FileMaker Server v11.0.4 with 3 clients running FileMaker Pro v11.0.4. Several times a week one particular client gets one of several error messages, and FileMaker quits unexpectedly.

The error messages leading to the crash are one of:

1) "FileMaker Pro quit unexpectedly. Click Reopen to open the application again." [this error is logged in Console in ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter]

2) "The maximum number of licensed users are currently using this copy of FileMaker Pro. Please refer to the License Key section of your software documentation for further instructions. License Key conflict with user "hostname (hostname) [IP]". All files will be closed and the application will quit.

The server has no "maximum idle time allowed" set. The client is set to never sleep and network access is not disrupted as evidenced by mail connections staying online and file shares staying mounted. I have completely uninstalled and reinstalled the Application and Preference files for the troubled client.

Either error message occurs when the client is entering data into a new record. Upon relaunch the new record is gone.

The server log shows the following events:

2012-03-22 10:06:25Server EventsWarningClient "(Front Desk) [192.168.0.145]" denied access because the license key is already in use by client "Front Desk (Front Desk) [192.168.0.145]".
      2012-03-22 10:06:25Server EventsWarningClient "(Front Desk) [192.168.0.145]" denied access because the license key is already in use by client "Front Desk (Front Desk) [192.168.0.145]".
      2012-03-22 10:06:30Server EventsWarningClient "Front Desk (Front Desk) [192.168.0.145]" no longer responding; connection closed. (51)
      2012-03-26 11:16:46Server EventsWarningClient "Front Desk (Front Desk) [192.168.0.145]" no longer responding; connection closed. (51)
      2012-03-27 08:13:48Server EventsWarningClient "(Front Desk) [192.168.0.145]" denied access because the license key is already in use by client "Front Desk (Front Desk) [192.168.0.145]".
      2012-03-27 08:13:48Server EventsWarningClient "(Front Desk) [192.168.0.145]" denied access because the license key is already in use by client "Front Desk (Front Desk) [192.168.0.145]".
      2012-03-27 08:15:21Server EventsWarningClient "Front Desk (Front Desk) [192.168.0.145]" no longer responding; connection closed. (51)

Notice the disconnects happen regardless of the license issue (2012-03-26). Also notice the license conflict is with itself, meaning the host is denied access because of a license key in use by the same host.

The user is frustrated at the workflow stoppage and the need to re-key data. Can anyone assist me troubleshooting this further?

• 1. Re: Client no longer responding; connection closed
          philmodjunk

2) is probaly a result of 1) having already occurred and then they get that error message when they attempt to reconnect. This isn't likely a crash as FileMaker is designed to quit automatically after displaying this error message. If the client waits a few minutes, then tries again, this error message should not appear.

For More Information see:     http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/e7c6649a74/comments#comment8250

This is one of many acknowledged bugs that can be found in the Known Bug List thread here in the Report an Issue section of the forum.

It can also be downloaded as a database file from:    http://www.4shared.com/file/8orL8apk/FMP_Bugs.html

1) is the main issue most likely. The challenge to crashes is that they don't come with any clear indicators as to why the crash happened. Doing a bit of sleuthing with the client and their files may help you narrow it down.

Basic diagnostic tests to perform when you get frequent crashes or “Hangs”:

Does the crash only occur with a specific file?
          Test by creating a small sample file and see if opening it and working with it also generates a crash. If it crashes too, the problem likely lies with the computer or it's installation of FileMaker. If it does not crash, it becomes more likely that there is a problem with the file.

To check for possible problems on a specific computer, you may want to run a utility to check out the hard drive and also to check out the user accounts on that computer for possible problems.

To rule out some other issues with your specific computer on Windows systems,

Select Run from the start menu and type in:

msconfig

Then, under the Services tab, you can stop all non-Microsoft services. If this solves the issue, then you need to look at what services you stopped and see which is one is the culprit.

What is reported when you recover the file?
          The file could be damaged. Not only can file damage cause crashes, but the crashes (or forced quits after a "hang") can damage your file. You may need to test a recovered copy to see if it works without crashing.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

1. Recover does not detect all problems
          2. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          3. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

Does it always crash when you are doing the same thing with your file?
          That may point to a specific layout, script, operation that interacts with your Operating system or other applications...

• 2. Re: Client no longer responding; connection closed
            JasonSnyder

Thanks PhilModJunk for the reply. I was trying to decide whether 1 or 2 was the chicken or the egg and it would make sense that 1 is causing 2 and that 2 is showing up in the log slightly ahead of 1.

I failed to mention the client is Mac OS X v.10.7.3 and the server is on Mac OS X Server v.10.7.3. The Windows specific troubleshooting does not apply here, although a filesystem verification passes.

There are 3 databases primarily used, and the failures appear isolated to only one of the three files, although it is the most used so it could be the law of averages. The file was hosted on the local client with peer sharing out to other clients. It was not until the databases were moved to a FileMaker Server that the local client began having disconnects.

As to client machine vs. database isolation, the troubled client is the only client that adds records to the database and so other users do not report any disconnects. It appears that adding records is the culprit.

The databases all verify.

I am a sysadmin not a database admin. Are there any issues with moving a local file to be hosted from a server I should be aware of??

• 3. Re: Client no longer responding; connection closed
              philmodjunk

I knew from the version info that you had a mac. I just didn't edit my standard crash trouble shooting info to eliminate that info as others reading this thread may not be mac users and thus might find the info useful.

the troubled client is the only client that adds records

That may be the key clue. From what you describe. I'd take a recent back up copy of the file and run a recover on it to check for damage. It's possible that there is damage to the file that only comes to light when hosted from Server. Even if the recover reports no problems found, test it as the file will also have rebuilt indexes and other aspects will be restored to "factory spec" during the recover and once in a great while this is sufficeint to repair the file.

• 4. Re: Client no longer responding; connection closed
                JasonSnyder

I did a consistency check on last night's backup and zero bad blocks appear. I'll wait until after the nightly backup to do a recovery on the real data file and see if any issues pop up. At least the live file they will use in the morning will have been "recovered". Just odd that moving to a server created reliabliity issues, as I was the one who sold them to the merits of hosting their databases on a server. At this point they are wishing we had left on a client :)