1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 18, 2011 8:39 AM by philmodjunk

Client/Server application

lben_1

Title

Client/Server application

I’m a new FM Pro user, so I apologize for any ‘simple’ question.

I’m getting into confusion for a possible misunderstanding regarding the appropriate method to create a 'client/server' application.

The application I’m developing creates a 'unique' file, which seems to be a 'client' application, including both 'application' and 'DB'. It seems I "only" have to create the application I have in mind using FM Pro Adv (have I to use FM Server for a client/server app ?), and put it on the server.
      Each client will have to address server, double click on the icon, and that's it.
      Very easy, perhaps too much.
      I suppose this would not be the correct approach. Having datas and application into the same file will probabily means a very large file after data growing.

Can anybody please help in lighting me up a little here ? How have I to procede for creating a client/server FM application ? Is there a particular manual documentation to explain ?

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Client/Server application
          philmodjunk

Any database file will become a 'very large file after data is added'. The data makes up the largest fraction of the file. With FileMaker, like most other applications, you have the application--the executable database engine you use to both create the database and to open and run it and you have the data file you created with your tables, layouts and scripts.

When you host the database file over a network, you host the database file you created with FileMaker Pro or FileMaker Server. The clients then use an application to access the hosted database. That application can be an installation of FileMaker Pro, or it can be a web browser application if you have set up the file with Instant or Custom Web Publishing (IWP or CWP).

Your clients cannot use a runtime FileMaker application created with FileMaker Advanced to access the hosted database.