3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2009 3:04 PM by comment_1

clients and appomtments

fruquis

Title

clients and appomtments

I have a db with table "clients" and a related table  in a portal "appointments".

In the table appointments I have a field "attended by" :Name 

Now I would like to find out:

How many times does a client come back if he is attended by "Name"  at the first visit.

I think I need a calculation field: getfield "attended by" first row  of appointments

and a calculation field "Count appointments"

I am stuck

Gerrit 

• 1. Re: clients and appomtments
          comment_1

You could produce a report from the Clients table, summarized by Appointments::AttendedBy. A calculation field in the Clients table =

Count (  Appointments::AttendedBy )

will tell you how many appointments each client had (you can count any field in Appointments that cannot be empty).

You could also add a summary field to average the count, and remove the body part from the report entirely.

• 2. Re: clients and appomtments
            fruquis

thanks , but i don't get it.

You said:

1)you could produce a report from the Clients table, summarized by Appointments::AttendedBy 

Appointments::AttendedBy is not a summary field,   it is a text field  in table "appointments"

2) 

A calculation field in the Clients table =

Count (  Appointments::AttendedBy )

will tell you how many appointments each client had (you can count any field in Appointments that cannot be empty).

I did that no problem 

3) You could also add a summary field to average the count, and remove the body part from the report entirely.

How do I avoid calculation each time I enter a new "appointments rceord"

Thanks again 

• 3. Re: clients and appomtments
              comment_1

fruquis wrote:
              Appointments::AttendedBy is not a summary field,   it is a text field  in table "appointments"

Yes, I am aware of that. The suggestion is to place a sub-summary (when sorted by: Appointments::AttendedBy) part on the layout. Thus, when you sort by this field, it will group your clients by the person who attended them at their first appointment.