4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2008 2:41 PM by marquismark

Close Database on FM Server

marquismark

Title

Close Database on FM Server

Hello,

I just upgraded from FM4 (yeah, I know) to FM9 (Server and Pro). In the old version, a FMP user could close the database on the Server (as in take offline) in order to do maintenance. I can't seem to find that functionality in the new version and giving access to the Admin Console is not something I'd like to do. Am I missing something or am I out of luck?

Thanks,

Mark

• 1. Re: Close Database on FM Server
          TSGal

marquismark:

Thank you for your post.

The problem with the older versions was that everyone was taking down files, making changes, and relaunching the files.  More users wanted tighter security, so for some time now, the Admin Console is the only way to do this.  That is, if someone wants to make a change, they go through an Admin.  If you have a person who is continually making changes, you may want to consider giving them Admin Console privileges, and/or give them a clone of the file, and when changes are made, the clone is given to the Admin, updated to the server, and the records imported from the existing file into the clone.

Let me know if you need clarification for any of the above steps.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Close Database on FM Server
            marquismark

TSGal:

Thanks for your reply. I had a feeling that was the case. Any chance that there's a way to only expose the database admin part of the Console? Opening and closing databases is all they really need (user restricted of course). 

Thanks.

Mark

• 3. Re: Close Database on FM Server
              TSGal

Mark:

Unfortunately, there is no way to expose only the database admin part of Admin Console.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Close Database on FM Server
                marquismark
                   Didn't think so. Thanks, anyways.