4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2009 1:30 PM by comment_1

cocoa and filemaker pro

MacRotterdam

Title

cocoa and filemaker pro

I am new to the Mac and I would like to purchase a database program that easily works together with the popular programming languages like objective C and Cocoa. Is Filemaker Pro a good choice?  

• 1. Re: cocoa and filemaker pro
          philmodjunk

What are you trying to accomplish with your "popular programming language" that you wouldn't do just with the database alone?

Note that you can download a trial copy of FMP 10 and play with it to see if it is what you have in mind.

• 2. Re: cocoa and filemaker pro
            MacRotterdam

What I like to do, is what I did in Windows, programming in C# or Delphi and implement tables from Microsoft Access or Paradox  in an easy way.

• 3. Re: cocoa and filemaker pro
              philmodjunk

MacRotterdam wrote:

What I like to do, is what I did in Windows, programming in C# or Delphi and implement tables from Microsoft Access or Paradox  in an easy way.

"implement tables..." Pardon my ignorance, but can you give an example?

I'm guessing that you want to create a stand alone application that uses database tables to store data. Here's an example from my own experience. At a previous employer's QA lab, they purchased a piece of equipment that was basically a robot that peformed a series of physical measurements on a sample of wine corks (40 or more at a time). The statistical data was stored in an MS Access back end while a custom program controlled the robot's systems and translated the reading from the hardware into numbers for storage in the MS Access data tables.

Is this an example of what you are trying to do?

• 4. Re: cocoa and filemaker pro
                comment_1

This is outside of my realm of experience, but I don't think Filemaker is the right product for you. You may not need to use an external DB at all - see CoreData.

If you need more than that, search the web for integrating Cocoa with SQLite/PostgreSQL/MySQL.