6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2015 4:17 PM by philmodjunk

Collecting Customer Info

JohnThompson_1

Title

Collecting Customer Info

Hey guys,

I'm kind of a newbie here and I was wondering if someone can help me out. This is childs play for a lot of you I know.

I'm looking for a way to have customers enter their name, address and other info and then choose from a list of items with check boxes next to them that they are interested in. At the end of the week I would like a list like this:

Bill Jones

123 Miller Road.

Detroit, MI 

(313) 555-5555

Roofing, Siding, Concrete, Floors, Landscaping, Painting, Carpet

Can someone give me a detailed way to do this?  As I said, Im JUST learning FileMaker Pro.

THANKS!!!!!!!

JT

• 1. Re: Collecting Customer Info
          philmodjunk

The standard check box format would set up a group of check box values that all enter values into the same field. This is not ideal for what you want to do in terms of your report. It could be done, but it will be harder to set up reports based on the data entered and much more work to maintain as the need arises over time to modify what values you want to list with a check box.

I suggest that you set up a related table for collecting the list of items of interest for each customer. This can still have a check list format, but since you appear new to this, I suggest first getting the related table working and adding in the check box format if you still need to as a second part of your development process.

SO first the simple approach to a related table:

Set up these tables and relationships:

Customers----<Items

Customers::__pkCustomerID = Items::_fkCustomerID

For now, enable "allow creation of records via this relationship and put a portal to Items on a Customer layout. Again, this is not the final part, but see if you can get this to work where you can build a list of items in the portal by typing text into a text field defined in Items.

Once that is working, we can add another table for the items of interest and set up a value list for selecting items.

And the final phase would be to set it up as a check box controlled list of items from which to make selections.

• 2. Re: Collecting Customer Info
            JohnThompson_1

Very cool Phil.... Let me see if I can get that done first.

• 3. Re: Collecting Customer Info
              JohnThompson_1

Hmmm.....  lol....

(Sorry, I feel like an ass....)

Not sure what you mean by this Phil:

Customers----<Items

Customers::__pkCustomerID = Items::_fkCustomerID

Can you do TeamViewer or Skype?

John

• 4. Re: Collecting Customer Info
                philmodjunk

Not when I'm at work ;-)

But I forgot something in my last post that I usually paste at the end of the comment when I describe tables and relationships like this:

For an explanation of the notation that I am using, see the first post of: Common Forum Relationship and Field Notations Explained

• 5. Re: Collecting Customer Info
                  JohnThompson_1

Phil,

Thanks, I appreciate the link. I will read up on that. 

Question.... Is there anywhere that offers a "Beginner Course" in FileMaker? I have actually done a few things already that I thought I could NEVER do, and I actually impressed myself.... lol... But there is still WAY more I need to learn.

I actually don't use it at work, but rather for my own personal use, for my companies. 

Thanks,

JT

• 6. Re: Collecting Customer Info
                    philmodjunk

There are quite a few training resources, books, videos etc, including this one from FileMaker Inc.: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/filemaker-training-series/id787527886?mt=11

You'll need to research and evaluate them on your own as what's best for one person isn't best for another given both the different ways we learn and the different levels of prior knowledge and expertise that each person brings to the learning process.

I even have a few offerings of my own in this area, though they are more aimed at intermediate level developers as a way to "up their game" in specific areas:

They are free to download.

Adventures in FileMaking #1 - Conditional Value Lists (includes details on how to set up a basic field based value list)
                    Adventures in FileMaking #2 - Enhanced Value Selection (what to do when a simple value list won't cut it.)

Caulkins Consulting, Home of Adventures In FileMaking