11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2010 11:33 PM by Hermann

Color of cell an font size different (layout and table)?!

Hermann

Title

Color of cell an font size different (layout and table)?!

Hi together

Unfortunately, I can't change the cell color and font size in table cells. In layout mode, all looks fine. The same cell content has in table cell font size 18, in layout view font size 11. What can I do?

Thanks for help.

Regards, Hermann

1.png

• 1. Re: Color of cell an font size different (layout and table)?!
          philmodjunk

Check for conditional formatting set on the fields in question. If there is a conditional format set on the field, this fill color won't be visible in layout mode. Right click the field while in layout mode and choose conditional format to see if any are selected.

This same conditional format may be specifying a font size or the data inside the field may have a specified font size and this font size setting will override the font size specified for the field. If this is the case, you can easily remove the formatting set on the text so that the font size specified for the field will control the font size.

• 2. Re: Color of cell an font size different (layout and table)?!
            Hermann

Hi PhilModJunk

I have show for conditional formatting. I haven't such. Maybe you can help with a further cognition. This black fields with black font color are only by new fields. With other words, i have many fields with white background and black font color, like i want it. But when i make a new field in table, then this one has black background and black font color.

Greetings, Hermann 

• 3. Re: Color of cell an font size different (layout and table)?!
              philmodjunk

Well that sounds exactly like a conditional format set for the field where you get a black fill color until a value is assigned to a field that the conditional format is referencing. Are you sure that's not the case. If this were a List view rather than table view, I might also look for a field placed behind the data field that is displaying the black fill color--using either a conditional format or a calculation that returns a container data type.

• 4. Re: Color of cell an font size different (layout and table)?!
                Hermann

Hi PhilModJunk

May I send you my data base for a look on it?

• 5. Re: Color of cell an font size different (layout and table)?!
                  philmodjunk

The easiest way is to post an empty copy (Use save a copy as with the clone option) to a file share site and then post a link to the shared file here. Then any forum member who wants to help can take a look. If you're not comfortable with that, click my Icon and send me a private message.

• 6. Re: Color of cell an font size different (layout and table)?!
                    Hermann

Thanks a lot, here is the link: link removed

• 7. Re: Color of cell an font size different (layout and table)?!
                      philmodjunk

OK, I'm not sure why those specific fields appear filled in Black but this is not a layout that should be used with table view. The portal information on the first two tabs of this layout cannot be correctly displayed in this viewing modein any case. This layout should work correctly in Form or List Views.

If you want a table view of your data, I suggest you use or create a different layout specifically for this view of your data.

• 8. Re: Color of cell an font size different (layout and table)?!
                        LaRetta_1

Hermann said, "This black fields with black font color are only by new fields. With other words, i have many fields with white background and black font color, like i want it. But when i make a new field in table, then this one has black background and black font color."

When I look at your file, your default background on fields is set to transparent.  And since the layout background is black, that is the background your new fields will inherit.  FM does not provide clear explanation of setting the default font settings. 

To reset your default background, be sure you have nothing selected and then specify your field background fill pattern to opaque by selecting the top, second from left.

• 9. Re: Color of cell an font size different (layout and table)?!
                          Hermann

Hi LaRetta

Thanks a lot for your description. I have tried you way:

"To reset your default background, be sure you have nothing selected and then specify your field background fill pattern to opaque by selecting the top, second from left."

Unfortunately, i don't know where. Maybe you can me describe the way with "other words"? Thanks a lot. I choosed it in layout mode, there a selected a field and changed the background color. This didn't help. Also i selected the data section but there i didn't found a pattern?

Thanks a lot for further help, Hermann

• 10. Re: Color of cell an font size different (layout and table)?!
                            LaRetta_1

Hi Hermann,

To set the default for new fields you create:

Go to layout mode but don't choose ANY object ... click on the layout in a spot where nothing exists (this is called de-selecting).  So then, with nothing selected do the following:

Go to Appearance tab in Inspector.  First item under Object is called 'fill'.  Pop open the second box (tooltip on it says 'choose the pattern or background on an object') .  When you pop it open, you will see that the top left box is selected (it is slightly indented compared to the rest).  This means it is set to transparent.  So instead, select the box just to the right of it.  It will display the background color.  Then select the first color wheel and select white (or whatever color you want for your background other than black).

Any fields you have added which still have transparent backgrounds will need to be selected and changed.  And now new fields added should have your default setting you just specified.

Also keep in mind that, when in table view, the last line will always appear in black (which is the body background on that template).  It is only when you add a new record that it will inherit your default field background.  As indicated, you shouldn't be using this layout in table view but rather create a new table view if you wish.  Personally, I don't present Users with table view because 1) regular buttons won't work in table view (you must use script triggers), 2) you can easily create a new record without meaning to, 3) portals cannot work (they will always only display the first related record as if placed directly on the layout), 4) filters on portal don't work and 5) tab panels won't work.

• 11. Re: Color of cell an font size different (layout and table)?!
                              Hermann

Hi LaRetta

Your description was absolut great. Many thanks for your time and work, now it works fine in my data base. And i understand again some more circumstance.

Greetings, Hermann