6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2010 10:12 AM by philmodjunk

Columns

MaddoxDesign

Title

Columns

I have been trying everything to create a gallery like layout (6 columns across) for images.

I get the same record duplicated 6 times across.

View as table doesn't get me the records 6 across either. I only have 2 fields (Image and Title)

This should be simple. Am I missing something?

• 1. Re: Columns
          philmodjunk

I assume you want this in browse mode? There's a printing option for printing multiple columns of data that's primarily used for mailing labels, but that's probably not going to do it for this.

You can use a "horizontal portal" technique.

Set up a relationship between a parent table and a related table where you can store your images.

On a layout based on your parent table, add one portal that refers to your related image table.

In portal setup... specify that it display "initial row 1, Number of rows: 1".

Add in your image field and size your portal to the way you want it.

Now make 5 more copies of this portal, but double click them and change them to:

Initial row 2, number of rows 1

Initial row 3, number of rows 1

Initial row 6, number of rows 1

Place these portals side by side in a list view layout and you've got your "gallery".

• 2. Re: Columns
            MaddoxDesign
               Columns..

I get it to display correctly using the preview mode, but I want this to work with Instant Web Publishing.

Info

I am using FileMaker Pro 10/MacOX

• 3. Re: Columns
              MaddoxDesign
                 I much appreciate your response!  I will give it a try.
              • 4. Re: Columns
                philmodjunk

I haven't tried a horizontal portal in IWP, don't know if that will work or not...

You may need to use 6 calculation fields with 6 different key fields to link to images 1 through 6. Doable, but a lot more work.

Anyone know what happens when you try a horizontal portal type layout in IWP?

• 5. Re: Columns
                  MaddoxDesign

I tested the horizontal portal type layout in IWP and it worked!

But how do I populate the images into the related table? They are not showing up. (I am a beginner).

• 6. Re: Columns
                    philmodjunk

MaddoxDesign wrote:

I tested the horizontal portal type layout in IWP and it worked!

But how do I populate the images into the related table? They are not showing up. (I am a beginner).

Glad to know it worked. Where are your images now? Individual files on your server?

Before you actually populate the table, you need to get your images moved into the Web folder to make them accessible to your users when they connect via a web browser.

Then, I'd create a separate layout with a 6 row portal and use it to insert references to each image you want to load into your table. Since you likely have a large number of images, you'll need to click in the container field and then use Insert | Picture to insert the file and then choose the "store by reference" option.

An alternate approach is to use Import Records | Folder to import all the images in one step, but then you'll still need to go through the imported images and assign them the correct ID numbers for each record after the import.