1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 28, 2014 8:01 AM by philmodjunk

columns within parts?

CSA_NK

Title

columns within parts?

hi

relatively new user. i am not sure how to find this answer as everything i find is about displaying columns in printing.

what i am looking to create columns in a sub-summary field. this is my task:

I am working to create an assets database for a building i do work for. I need to summarize the number of assets per floor, when i do a  summary by floor ~ Floor 1 has 3 of X, 4 of Y, 5 of Z..., Floor 2 has 4 of X, 8 of Y, 2 of Z.... so if i have 10 different assets types (some floors have more) on each floor, i don't want them listed just vertically because this takes up 10+ lines of space. When i run a full report of all 40 floors of 10+ assets each i have a lot of wasted space in my print out. if i could create a grid- e.g. 5 columns, 2 rows, it would save me a lot of vertical space per floor summary. i want to condense the summary vertically, i do not want to simply print my table in columns

can someone point me in the right direction as to what i should do a search for on an on-line manual or tutorial?

thank you, cs

Screen_Shot_2014-01-27_at_1.15.58_PM.png

• 1. Re: columns within parts?
          philmodjunk

If you can set this up to work from the context of a related table where you have one record for each sub summary part, you could use a horizontal portal technique to list the records horizontally. In a horizontal portal set up, you set up a row of one row portals. Either these one row portals are set up to show an initial row of 1 in the first portal, an initial row of 2 in the next... or you can set up filters on the portals that select for specific related records.

This row of data might also be a single calculation field with tab characters (Char ( 9) ) separating each value from a related table. Both ExecuteSQL or List might be used to produce such a single row of data. (In the appearance tab of the Inspector, you can specify tab stops for this field.)