0 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2010 10:22 AM by Karnel

Combine name fields to create formal name

Karnel

Title

Combine name fields to create formal name

I'm using FM11 Advanced on Windows XP and have a database that will be used for address invitations place cards to a formal dinner.  I have the following fields created:

Name Prefix

Name First

Name Last

Name Suffix

Invitee Guest 1 Prefix

Invitee Guest 1 Name First

Invitee Guest 1Name Last

Invitee Guest 1Suffix

Invitee Guest 1Type

I have created a calculation field that combines all of the name parts to be placed on the envelope.  Here is a partial example:

Case (

Invitee Guest 1 Type = "Spouse"  and Name Prefix = "Drs.";
      Name Prefix & " " & Name First  & " and " & Invitee Guest 1 Name First  &Name Last & (If (Name Suffix ≠ ""; ", ")) & Name Suffix & (If (Invitee Guest 1 Suffix ≠ ""; ", " & Invitee Guest 1 Suffix));

Invitee Guest 1 Type = "Spouse" and Name Prefix ≠  "Drs."and Name Prefix  ≠  "Mrs.";
      Name Prefix & " and " & Invitee Guest 1 Prefix & " " & Name First & " " & Name Last & " " & Name Suffix;

Invitee Guest 1 Type = "Spouse" and Name Prefix = "Mrs.";
      Invitee Guest 1 Prefix & " and " &  Name Prefix & " " Invitee Guest 1 Name First & " " & Name Last &  (If (Invitee Guest 1 Suffix ≠ ""; ", " & Invitee Guest 1 Suffix));

)

Although this will work, the calculation will have to include every scenario depending on invitee guest type and if married and both are doctors and so forth (many of which could be missed) and is quite long.  I was wondering if there might be a better way to do this.

Thanks a million!!