AnsweredAssumed Answered

Combine Text Fields but remain editable

Question asked by Mitch on Feb 17, 2011
Latest reply on Feb 19, 2011 by Mitch

Title

Combine Text Fields but remain editable

Hi

With the Fiilemaker Pro 11 v3 updater now out fixing the printing over multiple pages issue, I now find myself having to change my database to cater for the fix.  

Because of the issues with the previous version, I had two research text fields "Research_Text_A" and "Research_Text_B".  Each limited to a page to prevent the cutting of text and printed on two separate pages. Now, of course there is a fix.  

I now need to combine these fields into one research field that can now print any number of pages.  But I need the field to be editable afterwards.  Which prevents me using the following calculation in a new research field:

Research_Text_C =  If (not IsEmpty (Research_Text_A ) ; " " & Research_Text_A ) & If (not IsEmpty (Research_Text_B) ; " " & Research_Text_B)

My preference is to create a new database that will import the values from "Research_Text_A" and "Research_Text_B" and combine them.  So, how do I combine the fields and keep the field editable afterwards?

Add to this problem, that Research_Text_A and Research_Text_B fields both have a calculated value that will highlight certain text value based on a trigger.  So, I need the same script on any new research field.

Outcomes