AnsweredAssumed Answered

Combine three databases or try to link them with an external common table?

Question asked by Ruth on May 6, 2010
Latest reply on May 7, 2010 by comment_1

Title

Combine three databases or try to link them with an external common table?

I have 3 FMP 8.5 databases, which were created from the same database way back when to make things easy to keep track of separately.  I'm now being asked to put them back together, and while they are all pretty simple (no relationships, one table), they are each used for different purposes with a core of similar fields but each now evolved to having unique fields, scripts and layouts.  My intuition is to link them back using a table with the core of matching fields, but my NOT FMP trained boss is insistent that I have just one database so these core fields can be dumped in and out of a web site he is designing that will allow users to register lots of data, and view and update parts of their registered data.  I can do what he asks, but it seems more complicated than necessary and that all this exporting and importing of key fields of all records will have downsides to a system that works quite well currently.

Would it seem to make sense to link these files through a table? If so, where can I find out how to do this?

thanks!

ruth

Outcomes