3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2013 8:39 AM by philmodjunk

Combining contact info for family members

RickDavis_1

Title

Combining contact info for family members

I am using the contact management template in FMPv11, I would like to print the contact list with all family members under one contact.

For example, first record displayed is a single member, second record(s) displayed are for multiple records of family members shown in one listing:

Single Guy

123 Easy Street

MyTown, MyState

Married Guy

MyWife

MyChildren

456 Our Street

OurTown, OurState

• 1. Re: Combining contact info for family members
          philmodjunk

I would add an additional table. Use one table to list individuals that links to a "family contact" table that lists their contact info. It's even possible to list one individual as the member of more than one family should that be necessary. (A child can have two families, one for each divorced/separated parent.)

• 2. Re: Combining contact info for family members
            RickDavis_1

Thank you for the response Phil. It has been so long since I have worked with FileMaker (probably version 2.7) I feel like a complete newbie. This solution sounds perfect, I just don't know that I know how to implement it. I think I have a FileMaker Bible from around version 7 I may have to go find. that was the last time I thought about using Filemaker Pro again for a golf league record keepping solution. Never got too far with it. Anyway, I have all of my club members in contact management. Now I want to print a directory to share with the members. However I want the directory list to combine any records or contacts that share the same address under one listing. But still list the appropriate member name, member number, email address, etc.

This is all for a volunteer position, but I am willing to pay for step by step intructions or a solution to save me time.

Thanks and have a great day.

Along this line:

1st Family members Name   Family Address    1st members cellphone number   1st members  email

2nd Family members name                                    2nd members cellphone number  2nd members  email

3nd Family members name                                    3nd members cellphone number  3nd members  email

--------

Next Member record (with family info if appropriate)

Members Name   Address    members cellphone number   members  email

--------

Next Member record

Members Name   Address    members cellphone number   members  email

• 3. Re: Combining contact info for family members
              philmodjunk

What I am suggesting requires that you make design changes to the database:

I will guess here that you do not need to show an individual as the member of more than one family as you appear to be listing adults. A different set of tables and relationships is needed to support one contact being a member of more than one family.

Families------<Members

Families::__pkFamilyID = Members::_fkFamilyID

Familiy Names, Addresses and home phone numbers go in Families. Individual Names, cell phone and email address info goes in Members.

For an explanation of the notation that I am using, see the first post of: Common Forum Relationship and Field Notations Explained

With this set up, you can create a report layout based on Members with fields from Families included in a sub summary layout part to serve as that first row sub head that you need for each family. You can get an alphabetized list of members grouped by familiy name if you set up the sub summary layout part to be "when sorted by" _fkFamilyID. Then sort your records first by Family name, then also by _fkFamilyID. This sort allows you to get a alphatized list, but groups each family correctly even if you have more than one family record with the same family name.

This produces a report almost the same as what you specified. It'd look like this:

Family Name, Family Address
                      1st Family member, cell phone, email etc
                       2nd member
                       3rd member

Family Name, Family Address
                       And so forth...