3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2009 8:08 AM by kuhoodva

Combining fields from several table to make a report format correctly?

kuhoodva

Title

Combining fields from several table to make a report format correctly?

I have a question regarding combining information from several different fields across several related tables and putting it into one layout. I still need to be able edit all of the fields, to fine tune the info in them.

The end result will be a progress report for a medical situation.

I have a client table that is related to a "goal set" table that has individual goals related to it.

A normal situation is to have a "goal set" containing several different goals that need to be reported on for progress.  When finished a new "goal set" is created for the next set of goals.

On the goal table there is also a progress field, that will be used for the info regarding that record containing that specific goal.

The problem that I am having is in the report layout to get all of the info formatted and showing correctly.

The top of the page has unchanging text. Next is a text field that will need to filled in at the time of the report. Then I would like to be able to have the goals below that with the progress below each goal(which resides on the same table as the goals). followed by a coupe of pull down fields. Finally at the end, a new "goal set" with the new goals for the client.

1. Is there a way to show all of the "goal" records that are related to the "goal set" without using a portal and still having the fields editable? The reason for this is the goal doesn't have to be edited but the progress does.

2. Or is there a way to make a portal slide for printing?(I wasn't able to)

3. Am I going about this the wrong way, or is there a better way to structure this?

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Combining fields from several table to make a report format correctly?
          philmodjunk

"2. Or is there a way to make a portal slide for printing?(I wasn't able to)"

Yes, portals can slide up. All sliding objects have several limitations.

1. The only shrink they don't "grow".
          2. The sliding is only visible when you print/preview/PDF the layout. (can't see it in browse mode).

These points may explain why it didn't work for you.

"1. Is there a way to show all of the "goal" records that are related to the "goal set" without using a portal and still having the fields editable? The reason for this is the goal doesn't have to be edited but the progress does."

Do you know how to create a summary report with sub-summary parts? If you are using FMP 10, the resulting report is fully visible and editable in browse mode.

Base your report on the "Goal Set" table.

Place the fields from your Goal table in a sub-summary part (when sorted by Goal, print above).

Place your "Goal Set" fields in the body.

Use a find to pull up just the records you want (all the goal set records for a specific patient case, I would presume). Sort them by the same field you specified as the "when sorted by" field in your sub-summary part and you've got what you need.

• 2. Re: Combining fields from several table to make a report format correctly?
            kuhoodva

I will give that a try and let you know what I come up with.

It might take a little while, I'm still learning. 

Thanks for taking the time to answer. 

• 3. Re: Combining fields from several table to make a report format correctly?
              kuhoodva

Works great for that part of my solution!

Thank you so much for your help.