1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 9, 2010 12:08 PM by mark_d2x

Coming from Access and have a few questions

Nihilist

Title

Coming from Access and have a few questions

Hello, I recently downloaded a demo in hopes that I can find something that is compatible on both Mac and PC, as well as a close contender to Access. I'm an intermediate user of Access and I use more coding (Visual C & queries) in the background to rely on my entries and output instead of sticking to rudimentary property values.

So far, I really like the table management and layout view in Filemaker. But I'm having a bit of trouble that I hope is only 'New User' related, in which case, I'm willing to tough it out. But if they're actual limitations that I can't find a workaround for, I'd rather not make any further investments. Could someone please answer the following questions for me so that I can better decide where I should invest my time?

1) Can I use SQL queries (or something uncannily similar as far as results go) within fields, to sort through Records, Reports, and to mask and enter data with? For a simple example: can I specify three separate fields from two different tables where two fields are conjuctive but the user ID is the entered data?

2) Does scripting go beyond the semblance of macros? Is there a way to get behind the scenes and break the rules a little?

3) Is it possible to have Subforms that are enabled for data entry and customisable from the layout view?

4) How can I have more than two columns in a drop-down field? Is it possible?

5) How can I control the Tab order?

Edited: forgot a question.

• 1. Re: Coming from Access and have a few questions
          mark_d2x

Hi I cannot answer your question fully other than to say that in the first 6 weeks of learning FMP i learnt more than after 18 months of trying with Access!  Scripting can be very powerful, given our database experience i am sure you will find it much easier than someone with no experience at all.   I can recommend that you get the advanced version - certainly makes copying and pasting between tables much easier especially if there are a lot of lookup tables.

Point 3 - i have male and female layouts that when you click on the goto button it takes you to the correct layout based on the patients sex using a calculation 

Point 4 - i have only just got my head round - I think what you need is conditional lookup values?

Wouldn't touch Access with a barge pole especially now with FMP11 out.

Hope that helps 

Mark