12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2011 2:10 PM by philmodjunk

Coming from using access (not proficient) to filemaker not understanding tables and joins

sweetcuda

Title

Coming from using access (not proficient) to filemaker not understanding tables and joins

Ok. I am getting very frustrated and confused. I think I cannot shake my access brain and some reason filemaker is seeming so foreign to me. I am trying to create a database to track a device (all the information, example, employeed who built it, estimated hours, title, etc..), the components that make up the device. I want one form where all this information can be inputed for each builder of the device. I have set up join tables for a few of the different items because there can be many of one item in many different devices..... but cannot seem to be able to make it to where I can just have someone go in and pick from the drop down and enter in each component that is in the device. I dont want the ID numbers to show I want the actual titles of the components to show. I am also having the same issue with just the one to one drop down in my device table.... I can get the drop down to show the title of the component but then once entered it shows the ID number is there a way to mask this. I have attached a JPEG of what my relationships look like right now.... any help would be greatly appreciated. I am not a master at databases and am learning as I go. Self taught and not very well I might add. HELP!!! Cry

Thank you in advance,

LesleySmile

[IMG]http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h236/sweetcuda/filemaker.jpg[/IMG]