4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2012 6:51 AM by JimMac

Command-f launches the finder instead of going into Find Mode

pbedouk

Title

Command-f launches the finder instead of going into Find Mode

Hi

I'm new to Filemaker, and while starting the training series I noticed cmd-f is supposed to get into "Find Mode", but on my Mac it launches the OS X Finder instead.  How do I change this behaviour to have cmd-f switch to "Find Mode" as it should?

Thanks

Peter.

iMac, OS X 10.8.2

Filemaker Pro 12.

• 1. Re: Command-f launches the finder instead of going into Find Mode
          davidanders

Filemaker  12.0.3 is current version.

IF you go to Find Mode with menu or lower left database window selection, does Cmd+B go to Browse, CMD+U goes Preveiw and CMD+L goes Layout?  ONLY CMD+F malfunctions?

Do you have custom Keyboard Commands Setup (System Preferences > Keyboard)?

Do you have any utilities installed that create keyboard shortcuts?

If you restart with SHIFT key down (Safe Mode) does it behave the same way?

Keyboard have a sticking key?

• 2. Re: Command-f launches the finder instead of going into Find Mode
            pbedouk

Thank you for your response!  To your questions:

I have FM 12.0.2 installed.

Yes, only cmd-f malfunctions.

re custom keyboard ... i restored defaults, so any that I may have had were removed.

re utilities ... i have many, but none which specifically create shortcuts.

keyboard is ok.

safe mode ... i am now in safe mode and cmd-f behaves correctly.  ie, when in finder it opens a search window, when in filemaker it goes to find mode.

So this is not a Filemaker issue.

What does safe mode eliminate?  all my usual apps which launch at start-up didn't start.  What else??

I have a vague recollection of having created a script or automator thing which would launch the Finder , but for the life of me I can't find it anywhere. Other scripts have a dot-app extension, and they show up in spotlight.  But not this one.  Where are they kept?  Is it a hidden file somewhere?  How do I search for hidden files??

Any further thoughts would be MOST appreciated.

Thanks again.

Peter.

• 3. Re: Command-f launches the finder instead of going into Find Mode
              pbedouk

Ooops .. my bad. I found the problem, and, as Pogo said, it was me.

I use Alfred and it has the ability to create global hotkeys to launch applications, a feature which I used and forgot about.

Live and learn.

It was the safe mode idea that got me thinking

Thanks so much for your suggestions!
              • 4. Re: Command-f launches the finder instead of going into Find Mode
                JimMac

Info...

The MacOS began using a stripped System start up after the birth of the computer "virus" in the mid 80's.  It is the System root with no external applications or Resources allowed to start in the background, sometimes called "tasks".  This helps point the direction to a MacOS problem or others.

Windows, riddled with viruses, did the same and termed it "Safe mode" using the shift key on start up.  Mac then unified with Window's popular term and keyboard.

In "Safe Mode"  you find yourself in "Basic Land" not much acting "normal" but eliminating external changes,

Trivia...wink

Pogo actually said in 1970 Earth Day poster lamenting to his son.....

"YEP, SON, WE HAVE MET THE ENEMY AND HE IS US."  cool

Jim...