Fields cannot stretch, they can only shrink when printed if you specify sliding options for it.
This often means that you equip this field with a scroll bar for data entry and then create a second layout where this field is sized very large, but has "Slide up" and "Resize enclosing part" enabled for it and all other layout objects alongside or below it.
Key facts about sliding layout objects:
- It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
- All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
- Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
- Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
- Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.