7 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2009 12:20 PM by Terri

Comment section at bottom of report

Terri

Title

Comment section at bottom of report

I am trying to add a comment section at the bottom of a report (actually a text field called comments) but I want it to only show up after the last record. The kicker is, it has to be viewable on the web so it can't be a summary part. I am hoping it will be a calculation. Or I can make the comment section another layout and add it to this one, as long as I can get it in the right location. Any ideas? Here is what my report looks like right now. XX is an ID that is unique to each record. Page 1 is one record, page 2-3 is another record and so on. Let me know if you need additional information.

1  XX_XXXX_XX    Front cover

2  XX_XXXX_XX    Intro

3  XX_XXXX_XX    Intro

4  XX_XXXX_XX    Girls

5  XX_XXXX_XX    Girls

6  XX_XXXX_XX    Boys

7  XX_XXXX_XX    Boys

• 1. Re: Comment section at bottom of report
          philmodjunk

Are footers visible in IWP? (Don't know I'm asking) If they are, that's an option to experiment with.

You might also be able to set up a dummy record that sorts to the bottom of your list and use it to display your Notes. You could set it up so that your XX_XXXX_XX fields are blank and put your notes field on top of these fields. If this notes field is empty for all but the last record and your XX_XXXX_XX contain visible data for all but the last record, you'll get the visual effect you are seeking.

1  XX_XXXX_XX    Front cover

2  XX_XXXX_XX    Intro

3  XX_XXXX_XX    Intro

4  XX_XXXX_XX    Girls

5  XX_XXXX_XX    Girls

6  XX_XXXX_XX    Boys

7  XX_XXXX_XX    Boys

8 Notes text visible in last record only.

• 2. Re: Comment section at bottom of report
            Terri

I did try footnotes but they show up on every page and I only want this field on the last page as it can get quite lengthy. I'll experiment with your other option, thanks for the idea.

If you think of anything else, let me know. Thanks!!

Terri

• 3. Re: Comment section at bottom of report
              Terri

Another thought, if I have the comments on another layout, is it possible to create a field with a calculation that says if the page number is the last page number (or max page number) insert text from that layout?

And IF function perhaps?

Thanks

• 4. Re: Comment section at bottom of report
                comment_1

Terri wrote:

is it possible to create a field with a calculation that says if the page number is the last page number (or max page number) insert text from that layout?

That wouldn't work too well, if there were 2 or more records on the last page. But you can have a field that shows data only in the last record:

Case ( Get (RecordNumber) = Get (FoundCount) ; <stuff here> )

However, unless you are printing/previewing, this field will take up space in EVERY record, even when empty - so I am not sure this will solve anything.

• 5. Re: Comment section at bottom of report
                  Terri

That is the major hiccup I have encountered, the fact that each record will need the space necessary for the comments even if the comments are only going on the last record. That puts a lot of space between my records and that just isn't user-friendly. An easy fix would have been just to add a comments field and give it its own page number of 999 so it was at the end and only put comments into that record. But bottom line, the comments section is large and disrupts the flow of the entire layout.

My next option is to create a link/button/script to another layout displaying the comments that pertain to that found set. I'll be working on that next.

I posted another question separate as to not confuse the two issues. Feel free to take a look and give me your thoughts on that one. I have a feeling it will be easy for you. I want you to know I am learning from all these interractions.

Again PhilModJunk, always appreciate your clear and consistent help.

T

• 6. Re: Comment section at bottom of report
                    comment_1

A simple way to do this would be to use a trailing grand summary part - which I believe IS visible in IWP.

Terri wrote:
                    Again PhilModJunk, always appreciate your clear and consistent help.

What's that got to do with me?

• 7. Re: Comment section at bottom of report
                      Terri

Oops, sorry!! I was reading back through the posts and just thought for some reason that PhilModJunk had posted that reply. He has helped me a lot in the past so I guess I jumped to conclusions.

In the end, your solution worked perfectly!! I guess with my irritation with sub-summaries and IWP in the past I never thought the Grand Summary would work.

I guess it is time I stop assuming!!

Thanks again!!