1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 15, 2008 7:36 AM by TSGal

Comments

Monty1

Title

Comments

I would like to know how I can set up a box on my database for comments from donors and be able to add additional comments if need be.  Not sure how to go about that.

Does anyone have experience with this? 

• 1. Re: Comments
          TSGal

Monty:

Thank you for your post.

After reading your post, my initial question is "Do you want the comments in the same Donor file?  Or, do I want comments to reside in a separate table, where each comments has a date and entry?"

The first part is fairly simple.  Just add a "Notes" text field to your layout.  Whenever you want to enter something, just continue to add it to the end of the existing notes.  Date stamp it if you will.

The other way is a bit more complicated, as it involves another table.  You would need to link the two tables together on some common "key" field (DonorID?).

Pull down the File menu and select "Manage -> Database".  Click on the Tables tab and create a new table "Donor Notes".  After that is created, click on the Fields tab, and enter the following fields and field types:

DonorID (Text)

Date (Date)

Note (Text)

Next, click on the Relationships tab and draw a line from the DonorID (or whatever is your key) field in the Donor table to the DonorID field in "Donor Notes".  Now that the two tables are linked, double click on the icon that separates the two tables and a new dialog box appears.  On one side of the dialog box contains information from Donor table, and the other side contains information from the Donor Notes table.  Under the Donor Notes table, put a check mark in the option "Allow creation of records in this table via this relationship.  Click OK to return to "Manage Database", and click OK again to return to your file.

Pull down the View menu and select "Layout Mode".  Go to the layout for your Donor table.  On the left side of the screen are a number of icons and tools.  Click on the icon just below the Oval tool.  This is the portal tool.  On your layout where you want the Notes to appear, draw a box using this tool by click-dragging the tool to the size of the Notes information.  Select the "Donor Notes" table and select the Date and Notes field.  (No need to include the DonorID field).

Pull down the View menu and select "Browse Mode".  You can now enter dates and notes into this field for each record.

If you run into difficulty with any of the above steps, please let me know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.