4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2013 3:09 PM by philmodjunk

Commit Records

ClayReed

Title

Commit Records

I have a simple filemaker file that allows me to manage assets. I have a contacts table with layout and an assets table with layout. Currently you add contacts on the contacts layout and then on the assets layout you select them in a drop down list to assign to the asset. To make this process a little easier I created a "quick add" pop up on the assets layout. By clicking a "+" button next to the drop down field a script is executed and a pop up is displayed which is based on the contacts table. The script sizes and centers the layout and creates a new record request. After data entry the user clicks "Close" and the pop up closes. Everything works great except one thing. If a user changes their mind and decides not to add a new contact and closes the pop-up a blank record is entered into the database. How can I change/add to the script so that if no data is entered then no record is created. I assume there must be something with the commit records function but I have no clue how to make it work. The attached image is the pop up window and the script I'm using.

popup.jpg

• 1. Re: Commit Records
          philmodjunk

Pop up a window with a layout where the fields the user uses for this purpose are fields with global storage specified. Then have your script create a new record and copy the data from the global fields into the corresponding fields of this new record only if they do not cancel out of the operation.

• 2. Re: Commit Records
            ClayReed

Thanks Phil this works great except one thing. How do I clear the global fields after creating the new record? When I click the button and get my "add person" pop up the global fields still display the data from the previous contact.

• 3. Re: Commit Records
              gcatnine

in the popup, instead of using the contact field use global fields and create a new record, copying the global to the content fields  only when the user commit the new contact

• 4. Re: Commit Records
                philmodjunk

Just use Set FIeld to clear each global field after moving the data into the newly created record.

Set FIeld [YourTable::Global FIeld ; "" ]