6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2011 9:01 AM by philmodjunk

Communication with the host has been interrupted

AnthonyCuccia

Title

Communication with the host has been interrupted

We have a 5 Mac office running FM Pro 8.5 in host mode (no server), and have been having this issue for at least a year. Several times a day one of our computers gets the "Communications with the host has been interrupted and could not be re-established. All affected windows will be closed" message. When this happens, other clients are still connected and the host is running normally. Sometimes quitting FM on the client and reopening it will allow us to see the remote hosted file again, but sometimes the client computer must be restarted in order to be able to connect again. At its worst, the host computer must be restarted, requiring all clients to log off. All of our computers are set to never sleep, because I've read that that can cause this issue, but that has not helped. All computers are using wifi, and we have been through 3 or 4 routers (just got an Apple airport extreme, hoping it would help with this, but no luck there).

Here's some info on our setup:

Host Mac: iMac, intel core 2 duo, MacOS 10.5.8, FM Pro version 8.5v2

Client 1 (has problem): Mac Mini, intel core solo, 512MB, 667Mhz, MacOS 10.5.8, FM Pro version 8.5v1

Client 2 (no problem): Mac Mini, intel core 2 duo, 1GB, 2 Ghz, MacOS 10.5.8, FM Pro version 8.5v1

We have a couple of other minis, one seems to never experience this problem (Client 2 above), the other very rarely does. We have been using FM on Macs since FM 5. Any help resolving this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Anthony

Picture_1.png

• 1. Re: Communication with the host has been interrupted
          DavidJondreau

First, update the client machines to 8.5 v2.

Does Client 1 experience other network problems...like a slow browser or e-mail that fails to send sometimes? If the network connection drops, even for a second, Filemaker can crash like that (or not, depends if it tries to pass data or not).

• 2. Re: Communication with the host has been interrupted
            AnthonyCuccia

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, Client 1 sometimes has email that fails to send sometimes. Are there any versions of FM that have that bug fixed? Having it crash just because of a short interruption of the network connection seems like it would be an important bug to fix. Is there anything I can do about it with my current version?

Thanks,

Anthony

• 3. Re: Communication with the host has been interrupted
              DavidJondreau

I wouldn't classify this as a "software bug". It's a "hardware failure". There's no "fix" for this from FileMaker.

You could try to figure out why the network is dropping...a bad network card, wonky cable, etc.

• 4. Re: Communication with the host has been interrupted
                AnthonyCuccia

Well, I guess I would consider this a software bug (and I am a programmer). Safari doesn't crash when this happens. None of the other applications that are running crash. Is crashing really the response the designers of the software intend after a short interruption in the network connection? I agree that fixing the hardware so that there is never any drop in the network connection would probably fix this, but it would seem like a better solution to have the software tolerate it. I can't imagine we're the only users who sometimes have a slight interruption in their network.

I appreciate the input, but I'm hoping (maybe unreasonably) that someone else has a solution.

Thanks again,

Anthony

• 5. Re: Communication with the host has been interrupted
                  symbister

mmm interesting - also have (occasionally) same problem - but apparently only my machine (iMac with Mac OS 10.5.8 running FMP 11). Other machines (up to 10) are a mix of iMac's Powerbooks, etc, running a mix of FMP 8.5, FMP 9 and FMP 11. And it's only started happening since I upped to 11 from 8.5 on my machine - does FMP 11 require a faster/more stable network connectivity ? - as I say it's only occasionally so it's not really an issue - just re-open the file.

FM is served from a PowerPC G5 running 10.4.11, FMS 8.

• 6. Re: Communication with the host has been interrupted
                    philmodjunk

I get this error if I disconnect my network cable to disconnect the computer from the LAN.

There is nothing you can do about this by modifying your set up with FileMaker.

Regardless of whether or not you agree with how Filemaker handles the nework "drop", you'll need to figure out and solve this issue on the hardware side. It's not something you want to continue in any case. It could be a faulty NIC card, a bad plug, a poor quality wifi signal....