4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2013 11:24 AM by doorkitltd@gmail.com

Company, Company Contact with tasks

doorkitltd@gmail.com

Title

Company, Company Contact with tasks

Hi

Can sombody help me please.  I have created a company layout with a tab control and another tab control within for adding contacts tasks etc.  I think i have done something wrong with my relationships because I'm trying to create tasks for contacts (within the company) but when i creat the task using a portal and using a field with a dropdown in order to asign the company contact i keep getting a list of all contacts on the database.  Can sombody please help me.  Many thanks.

Eugene

filemaker_issue.png

• 1. Re: Company, Company Contact with tasks
          philmodjunk

Seems like you should link tasks to companyContact if you are going to assign tasks to contacts instead of the company.

Whether or not you make that change, a value list that lists values from CompanyContact will list all contacts, not just those for the current company record unless you select the "include only related values starting from [Company]" option.

• 2. Re: Company, Company Contact with tasks
            doorkitltd@gmail.com

Hi Phil

thanks i thought i had it but now what im getting is the following problems

1.           every time i create a new task it creates a new company contact.
            3.           eventhough we have more than one contact every time i select a contact for a task it populates all the other tasks with the same contact.

Any ideas?

Cheers Eugene

• 3. Re: Company, Company Contact with tasks
              philmodjunk

Sounds like you have problems with your relationships and the design of your layout. In looking at your relationships, I would guess that what you really need is this:

Companies-----<Tasks>----CompanyContacts|Tasks

Companies::CompanyID = Tasks::fkCompanyID ---> different field from what you have in your relationships
                   CompanyContacts|Tasks::ID_CompanyContact = Tasks::fkCompanyContactID ---> new field not shown in your current table

Where CompanyContacts|Tasks is the name I have given to a new Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences? of Tasks so that you can keep your current companies to CompanyContacs relationship unchanged.

For an explanation of the notation that I am using, see the first post of: Common Forum Relationship and Field Notations Explained

Then, to create Tasks records for a given company and link each to a specific record in CompanyContacts:

Put a portal to Tasks on your Companies layout. Add Tasks::fkCompanyContactID to this portal row and set it up with the conditional value list that I specified earlier for selecting a contact for that specific task. You can include fields from CompanyContacts|Tasks in this portal row to show additional info (such as the contacts name and/or a phone number or job description...) about that contact right in the portal row.

• 4. Re: Company, Company Contact with tasks
                doorkitltd@gmail.com

It's done, Cheers Phil - thanks a million

Eugene