1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2012 12:19 AM by Sorbsbuster

Compare record differences between two fmp12 files?

crackerjackaz@hotmail.com

Title

Compare record differences between two fmp12 files?

I am using FM Pro 12 Advanced (Windows)

I am trying to find out if there is a way to find/compare record differences between two fmp12 files?

I imported data data from file named "data_dump_10-12-12.fmp12" and "data_dump_10-15-12.fmp12" and wish to identify what 10 new records it added.

• 1. Re: Compare record differences between two fmp12 files?
          Sorbsbuster

How would you tell that manually?  Are there unique Record IDs that would show you the 10 new ones?

• 2. Re: Compare record differences between two fmp12 files?
            davidanders

Do you have a Creation or Modification Date field in the records? (can be useful)

FMDiff Compares FileMaker Pro Files And Lists Differences
            http://fmdiff.com/

• 3. Re: Compare record differences between two fmp12 files?

Sorbsbuster\DavidAnders:

Manually I would go record by record but it takes too long.

The data is imported from a server data dump and does not have a creation\update date in the record.

I am trying to replace changed data and find any new records.

I found fmdiff.com but their website states their program does not function on fmp12 files yet.

I am using Fm Pro 12 Advanced on a windows pc.

• 4. Re: Compare record differences between two fmp12 files?
                Sorbsbuster

"Manually I would go record by record" - yes, but how would you do it?  Compare RecordIDs?  Look at the Creation Date?

• 5. Re: Compare record differences between two fmp12 files?
                  philmodjunk

What Sorbsbuster is doing is trying to find out enough detail about how you would do this manually so that he can suggest an automated way to compare the data and highlight those that are different.

• 6. Re: Compare record differences between two fmp12 files?

Sorbsbuster\PhilModJunk -

I hope you didn't think I was being sarcastic, that was not my intention.

The data dump doesn't give me any dates or a record ID at all unfortunately.

The list is usually pre-sorted information by server name alphabetically.

Sometimes, although rarely there is a few new server names added to the list but more frequently

the data fields have new information as to location, turned on, turned off, broken, etc.

• 7. Re: Compare record differences between two fmp12 files?
                      Sorbsbuster

So, the question still stands.  It's not (yet) a Filemaker problem; it's a 'process' problem.  If you were to look through these records manually, with no dates or record IDs, how would you (manually) determine which ones were the 10 new records you are trying to identify?

• 8. Re: Compare record differences between two fmp12 files?

Sorbsbuster,

I'm not sure how to solve my process problem then.

If I assign a record ID or date the new data dump will always be the new record.

• 9. Re: Compare record differences between two fmp12 files?
                          Sorbsbuster

Which parts of these scenarios do you have?

- you have a file with, say, 1000 records in it.  You have another file with, say, 100 records in it.
                               - you import the 100 into the 1000 by adding records, so the new file has then 1100 records; 1000 'old' records, and 100 'new' records.

or

- you import the 100 records by 'updating matching records'.  60 of the 100 records are updates to records that already exist in the 1000, and 40 are brand new.  So 60 get updated, 40 more get added.  So you have 1040 records, 40 of which are new, 60 or which have been edited with some new data.
                               - (If that is the case my question will be 'How did you define the field to match for the import?')

or

- you have a file of 1000 records.  You delete all of those records, and import a fresh set of 100, some of which may have been the same as some of the 1000 records, and some of which are new.

• 10. Re: Compare record differences between two fmp12 files?

Sorbsbuster,

Option B is more like my situation...

"- you import the 100 records by 'updating matching records'.  60 of the 100 records are updates to records that already exist in the 1000, and 40 are brand new.  So 60 get updated, 40 more get added.  So you have 1040 records, 40 of which are new, 60 or which have been edited with some new data. (If that is the case my question will be 'How did you define the field to match for the import?')"

Here is what I did:

Step 1) I received the server data dump (datadump_10-12-12.xlsx)  from my co-worker in xlsx format.

Step 2) I imported that file into filemaker and had it create the database for me.

Step 3) I leave the data from last weeks data dump in the database and I import data from (datadump_10-15-12.xlsx) by 'updating matching records'.

Step 4) I instructed filemaker to sort by server name but gave no other definition field to match for the import.

The record went from 23,437 records to 23,447 records.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to figure out what changed between the two imported files.

I will never be deleting the old data but will be importing a new data dump file every week from now until eternity. (LOL)

Did I make more sense this time? Sorry for confusion.

• 11. Re: Compare record differences between two fmp12 files?
                              Sorbsbuster

This is the catch:

Step 3) I leave the data from last weeks data dump in the database and I import data from (datadump_10-15-12.xlsx) by 'updating matching records'.

Step 4) I instructed filemaker to sort by server name but gave no [...] field to match for the import.

That is an impossibility.  Are you sure you didn't choose the option to 'Update the records in existing found set'?

You also don't need to 'have it create the database'.  From what you describe the databasse table already exists, and you are just importing more data into the (existing) database.

• 12. Re: Compare record differences between two fmp12 files?

Sorbsbuster,

No, I'm not entirely sure I didn't use "Update the records in existing found set". It is possible I did.

I am not re-creating the table over and over again, I meant that the first time I imported the data

from the first data dump file I had filemaker make a database for me out of the data from the xlsx

file. I am merely importing the data from the next dump into that data each week.

Jack

• 13. Re: Compare record differences between two fmp12 files?
                                  Sorbsbuster

You have so carefully avoided answering the fundamental question, I'm thinking you must be in politics...wink

If you had printed a complete list of the records in the original file, then you did the second import, then you printed off the records in that updated file, and you had all the time in the world to set the listings down side-by-side and go through each record, one-by-one, how would you spot the difference between an 'existing' record and a 'new' record?

• 14. Re: Compare record differences between two fmp12 files?

Sorbsbuster,

I apologize, I am not trying to avoid answering your questions.
                                         I thought I had answered them the best I could...

Each record has 30 fields of information and there are
                                         23,437 records in the first file and 23,447 in the second.

If a record was added it would have a server name that did not
                                         exist previously as well as the information tracked about that
                                         server. If it were merely an old server that have information
                                         about it changed it would not state:

Server name: XYZ
                                         Server Location: Long Island
                                         Last service conducted by: Jim Bean 10\27\12
                                         Status of Server: Still broken, or drive replaced, or whatever
                                         Etc
                                         Etc
                                         Etc

The problem is that even though it sometimes contains a date
                                         or time that information is contained with text and I have
                                         no control of what fields exist in the data dump file.

Whomever created the report initially never put a date
                                         field solely by itself.

Some people date their entries in the name field and some
                                         do not. There is no unique identifier other than the name
                                         of the server that does not constantly change.

Does this make more sense? I am merely a "pee-on" that has
                                         to sort through the data supplied, I have NO control over
                                         its generation.

Jack

1 2 Previous Next