2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2010 2:26 PM by agreer

Comparing a Repeating Field to a non-Repeating Field (FileMaker 5.0

agreer

Title

Comparing a Repeating Field to a non-Repeating Field (FileMaker 5.0 & 5.5)

Hi,

I've got 2 tables. In table 1, the Unique Product Number (UPN) is a repeating field, and in table 2 it is not. When the UPN occurs in table 1, I'd like an exclamation point to appear in a second field in table 2. Right now it only works for the first iteration of the UPN. The calculation code for the second field looks like this:

If(Extend(Unique Product Number) = <table 1>::Unique Product Number, "!", "")

What am I missing? Thanks!

• 1. Re: Comparing a Repeating Field to a non-Repeating Field (FileMaker 5.0 & 5.5)
          philmodjunk

To restate your question to make sure I understand...

If any UPN entered in any repetition of the field in table 2 matches the UPN of any record in Table 1, return an exclamation point?

Filemaker 5.5 doesn't match multiple repetitions the way you can in newer versions. Only the value in the first repetition is used to match values in the second table.

A better question is why are you using a repeating field for this?

If you can restructure your data into a related table of records you can avoid the issue altogether.

• 2. Re: Comparing a Repeating Field to a non-Repeating Field (FileMaker 5.0 & 5.5)
            agreer

Yes, you've got it.

Here's the overall idea: I work for a vitamin manufacturing plant. I'm creating an Updates table that lists all the updates to labels that are currently in the works. This will mark these particular labels as "being updated" so that the print shop doesn't print an abundance of a changing label, or so that the old label doesn't accidentally get printed. Sometimes it's a label-wide change, so all customers are affected; sometimes it's a particular customer who wants to change the name of their particular label and thus only their label is affected.

You know what? You're right. For the print shop to "complete" the update (by deleting it from the list), each customer label is going to have to be separate so that if Customer A's labels get printed but not Customer B's, the record can be deleted for Customer A but not Customer B.

Thanks...I believe you helped me before! I really appreciate it!

April