AnsweredAssumed Answered

Comparing external file (text or Excel) with database before input

Question asked by tonyh278 on Feb 10, 2009
Latest reply on Feb 16, 2009 by hiatts

Title

Comparing external file (text or Excel) with database before input

I am a old Filemaker user and have really only dabbled with the later versions. I have developed systems in VB6 and used SQL but now have an opportunity to develop a full blown system in FM. It will have upwards of 20 users. It will require input of media (about 15,000 images/models per month) and will run to several terabytes of data (external to FM but referenced in).

I have a number of challenges but the main one (I think) is that the user will present a text or Excel file with 200 plus records of information which needs to be compared against the existing database - both prior to import and also for export. In SQL I would create a temporary table and do the work between the tables. I have already done something similar in Vb by importing my data into arrays and comparing that with database. There does not seem to be a temporary table available in FM10 and I need to keep user1's local file data separate from user2's. The 'input' file is likely to have around 20 fields of information per line, and I may need to compare more than one field although usually one will be the key.

Does anyone have ideas how I might tackle this?  

Outcomes