AnsweredAssumed Answered

comparing field content on different dates

Question asked by KBGF75 on Apr 22, 2012
Latest reply on Apr 24, 2012 by KBGF75

Title

comparing field content on different dates

My FMP9 file includes two tables, Contacts and Donations. I use scripts to summarize a few membership statistics, such as the number of initial donations (new members) in a range of dates. In that case I count the number of donation records that are categorized as “initial.” That task is simple because each donation record has a “date created” field and a donation category field.

I now have a different challenge. I want to compare data on the last day of two different months, such as 28 Feb 2011 and 29 Feb 2012. I want to find a set of records that meet certain criteria on a specific date, typically the last day of a month. Example: find the number of “active members” on the particular date. The contact record has a field showing membership status, but the field contents are not associated with a particular date. One contact may be an active member continuously for years, another will lapse and rejoin randomly.

I can see only one way to assemble data for such a comparison: use archived copies of the file. I would have to perform finds in each of two archived copies, then export the results (or copy by hand) into a spreadsheet for review and sharing.  So, are there changes I can make (simpler the better) to enable a more efficient process for handling future data?

Outcomes