1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 26, 2011 8:37 AM by philmodjunk

Comparing Summary data

tomo17

Title

Comparing Summary data

Can i compare summary data such as averages, totals etc that are generated for two different groups in the same field on the same layout?

I have a stats database that i am regularly entering weekly results with associated performance data for different teams.  For each match i enter the team, the opponent, goals scored for and against as well as some possession based data.  there are currently five records for each team.  All of the league results are on the one table.

At the moment i have been able to set up a layout that will show data for a team that i select that uses summary fields to generate season averages up to that point.  What i want to be able to do is choose two teams from the league and then compare the summary of results for the two different teams alongside each other on a similar layout.  How would i script for this if it is possible?

here is a basic example of what i am trying to do

Goals For Goals Against Average time possession

Team 1

Team 2

Thanks for any suggestions

• 1. Re: Comparing Summary data
          philmodjunk

From your example, you want the Team 1 average just above the Team 2 average. That's easy to set up with most data in FileMaker. Side by side is also possible, but takes a lot more work to set up.

Assuming the the data to be summarized is in separate records for each data item, you can define a summary field that computes a total, an average or a number of other aggregate values are possible.

Put a sub summary part on your layout, "when sorted by" Team.

Put your summary fields in this sub summary part and then make sure that you sort your records by Team.

If you only want the totals, not the individual records, delete the body part from your layout.

If you need to define a calculation field that computes a value from the summary sub totals, make sure to use the getSummary function to access the sub totals. If you just refer to the summary field in your calculation, you get the grand total instead of the sub total.