5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2009 9:55 AM by philmodjunk

Complete newb just needs to export fp7 file using fp10 trial but WITH PICTURES

digitaltoast

Title

Complete newb just needs to export fp7 file using fp10 trial but WITH PICTURES

Long long story, but basically I have had an fp7 database dumped on me by someone in our voluntary organisation who almost literally went nuts trying to create and use it, and created something completely innapropriate, then ran away apparently screaming when told that no, it wasn't possible to buy a copy of fp7 for everyone in the tightly budgeted charity! It's an address book, with 143 records and thumbnails and is...ready for this? 980Mb big!

He's even gone and stored the thumbnails in pict format as far as I can see (and I can't see very well as Windows version tells me I need quicktime player and a tiff decompressor, both of which were already there but I have also re-installed without any luck) meaning each thumbnail is over 2mb!

Anyway, rant over, I've never used fp7 before and have the fp10 trial on my windows box here. Found how to export data as excel and csv, but I can't work out how to get the pictures out.

Sorry for the rant but I've been fighting this thing for over a day now, and would really appreciate any help.

• 1. Re: Complete newb just needs to export fp7 file using fp10 trial but WITH PICTURES
          philmodjunk
             You'll need to export the pictures using export field contents to create indvidual files, one file for each picture. The file formats you mention don't support graphic content.
          • 2. Re: Complete newb just needs to export fp7 file using fp10 trial but WITH PICTURES
            digitaltoast

Thank you - I realise csv and excel aren't picture containers, but even when exporting as HTML it says "cannot export container" or something, so the photos don't get exported there, either.

Or perhaps there's another way? If I connected it to some kind of sql connector or something?

All I need is the photos dumped out with their record name - I can glue the rest together, but the idea of going through each record, going "file > export" etc, then manually naming it...

• 3. Re: Complete newb just needs to export fp7 file using fp10 trial but WITH PICTURES
              philmodjunk
                 You can script the export field contents step in a loop that steps through each record and exports the picture. The script can be constructed to name the file and specify an folder to recieve the exported pictures.
              • 4. Re: Complete newb just needs to export fp7 file using fp10 trial but WITH PICTURES
                digitaltoast

Right. Scripting. Remembering that this is the first and last time I am ever likely to use filemaker pro, and it's only to open and export, what would be the quickest way of doing that script?

I've found things to do with scripts http://www.filemaker.com/products/fmp/script_triggers.html but this looks like a learning curve.

So, you are saying that there's no built-in bulk export? In this case it looks like manually open and save as might help. I just wish there was a way to display pictures which say "needs quicktime" even when quicktime is installed, and that it wouldn't take 28 seconds to redisplay a list of 143 names and photos on a 3Ghz pc with 4Gb RAM , (although I suspect that might be the original maker of the db using pct format even thought they don't actually display)

• 5. Re: Complete newb just needs to export fp7 file using fp10 trial but WITH PICTURES
                  philmodjunk

Create a field that we can use to name each exported picture. This field should automatically assign the correct file type suffix.

Use File | Manage | Database | Fields to add a calculation field that will give you the name of the original picture file inserted into the container field. Name it "TextofContRef".

Enter the field name, select "calculation" as it's type and click Create.

Select the name of the container field by double-clicking it in the upper pane.

Select "text" instead of number from the lower left corner of the dialog.

Click OK and keep clicking OK to dismiss dialog and return to the Database layouts.

Select manage Scripts... from the scripts menu and click the new button.

Add steps by double-clicking the step listed in the left hand pane.

Specify parameters for these steps by clicking the Specify... buttons and other controls that appear in the bottom of the dialog when you have that step selected.

Show All Records

Loop

Set Variable [$FilePath; Value: "filewin:" & "/DriveLetter:/Your filepath goes here use / to delimit folders/" & YourTableName::TextofContRef]

#Don't type in "Value:" in the above expression, Filemaker adds that after you click OK.

Go to Record [next; exit after last]

End Loop