11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2010 1:38 PM by WebDev

Complete novice - is this possible?

WebDev

Title

Complete novice - is this possible?

Hi all

I have been asked to work on a certain task, and I have been told that filemaker pro is the best tool to use for the job.

The challenge is to set up a system to run daily Monday to Friday which emails a word and definition to a set of email addresses.  Filemaker Pro would have the list of email addresses and the lists of words and definitions.

I have not used Filemaker Pro before, so I don't have any experience with it.  Is this the sort of project a complete beginner could easily do?

Many thanks

webdev

• 1. Re: Complete novice - is this possible?
          mrvodka
             It can be done. It is not IMO a difficult task to learn.
          • 2. Re: Complete novice - is this possible?
            WebDev
               Where/how should I start?

I've had a look at Filemaker Pro, but I'm not sure where to start.

Any help is appriciated!

I am using an XP PC - the computer it will run on is a Mac (always on) running FmP 9, version 3.

• 3. Re: Complete novice - is this possible?
              mrvodka

I would start by deconstructing the sample / starter files that come with the solution. I believe that there is a template that deals with email mailings. ( I dont really use them so I am not 100% sure ). Basically your script should take the record with the definition / word and then send it using the Send Mail script to the set of contacts. If you need this to be sent every day, either you can use a scheduled script to run it if using FileMaker Server, or you can use windows scheduler to run a dedicated file that would just perform that scipt on open up ( File Options )that would run the script and then close the file / exit the application.

• 4. Re: Complete novice - is this possible?
                WebDev

I'm getting there!

I've got a script working that determines the day of the week, and I think I'm OK with sending email.  Now I'm stuck on the message part - how do I create a message body which includes certain fields from certain records - but goes to the next record each day?  I'm completly stuck - help is much appriciated!

• 5. Re: Complete novice - is this possible?
                  mrvodka

I may store a log of completed email transaction in a table. Then you could record what record number was sent. Each time the script runs, it could check what the last entry in that table was and then find the record with the next ID.

Something like ( crude code ):

Go to Layout [log ]

Go to Record [ last ]

Set Variable [ $lastID; recordedID ]

Go to Layout [ Definitions ]

Enter Find Mode [ ]

Set Field [ ID; $lastID + 1 ]

Set Error Capture [ On]

Perform Find []

If [ Get ( FoundCount ) ]

Set Variable [ $Word; WordField ]

Set Variable [ $Definition; DefinitionField ]

Go to Layout [ Contacts ]

Send Mail [ Message: $Word " - " & $Definition ]

End If

• 6. Re: Complete novice - is this possible?
                    davidanders

It can also depend on the number of emails and the email client used.

Some ISPs (provides the internet access and email accounts) limit the number of emails sent per hour or day. 

• 7. Re: Complete novice - is this possible?
                      WebDev

Thanks for a speedy reply.

It's occurred to me that the entries do not need to remain after they have been sent - would it be possible to run the below code (daily):

send an email containing the entry stored in record one.

delete record one (thus the old record two become the new one)

repeat

Would this work?  Or would record one disappear and not be replaced?

David - this is being run on a companies own server - there is no limit on traffic.

Many thanks!

• 8. Re: Complete novice - is this possible?
                        philmodjunk

WebDev wrote:

I'm getting there!

I've got a script working that determines the day of the week, and I think I'm OK with sending email.  Now I'm stuck on the message part - how do I create a message body which includes certain fields from certain records - but goes to the next record each day?  I'm completly stuck - help is much appriciated!

Are you having trouble constucting the message? That's how I read this post anyway.

WHen you use the Send Mail dialog to set up your email (it's the same dialog within a script or when you select this option from the file menu.), click the button with a black triangle to the right of the message box. This brings up a specify calculation dialog where you can construct an expression that creates your message.

"Word for the day:  " & YourTable::YourWordField

To give just a very short example.

• 9. Re: Complete novice - is this possible?
                          WebDev

Thanks Phil

Is it possible to add text to the body as well as a calculation?  When I try I endgetting an error - it thinks the text is part of the calculation.  How do I tell it that I am now using text?

• 10. Re: Complete novice - is this possible?
                            philmodjunk

I'm not sure what you are asking.

In my mini-example, "Word for the day:  " is literal text that would appear (without the quotes) in the message body and YourTable::YourWordField would be a field from one of your tables that supplies text stored in the field.

The actual email body might look like this:

Word for the day:  Apple

• 11. Re: Complete novice - is this possible?
                              WebDev

I'm finding that I don't have the time needed to fully learn to use FMP for this task.  Is anyone more experienced with FileMaker Pro able to create this system for me (in return for payment)?  Please send me a PM if you are interested.

Mods - if it is not appropriate to ask this, I apologise - please delete this post.

Thanks!