4 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2010 10:54 AM by beckles88

Complex Date Calculation

beckles88

Title

Complex Date Calculation

Hi All,

I have a complex date calculation which I need to make.

When a student enrols on a course they have two years to complete the course.
      They may have an extension of up to 6 months (field name: Course_Entension Period).
      They may defer their course for upto a year so I have a Course_Deferral Date and a Course_Reinstate Date field.
      I then have a Course_Period Before Deferral field, this works out the number of days before the student deferred the course.
      I also have a Course_Deferral Period field which calculate the number of days the student deferred.
      When the student reinstates they have two years minus the Period Before Deferral to complete their course.

I need a calculation to work out the Course_End Date from all these factors and the Course_Start Date.

Thank you for any help

• 1. Re: Complex Date Calculation
          ryan

Can you please clarify what the "Course_End_Date" and "Course_Start_Date" are used for?  I followed all the other fields and their purposes, but I want to make sure i grasp what you need the two above fields to communicate to you.

And how long is a Course?  Does that factor into any of this?  And are the courses given at particular intervals or terms?

Thanks

• 2. Re: Complex Date Calculation
            beckles88

Thanks for your response.

The 'Course_Start Date' is entered when a student enrols as it is the date they start their course.

The company want to calculate the 'Course_End Date' to indicate when the course expires.

A course is two years but a student can defer for upto a year and have an extension upto a year (sometimes they may only have a month, sometimes the whole 12 months).

• 3. Re: Complex Date Calculation
              philmodjunk

Does Course_Entension Period count days or months? If months, are these calendar months or 30 day intervals? (Not all months are the same number of days.)

If I read your description correctly...

A student starts the course on 1/1/2010. They have until 1/1/2011 to complete the course unless...

They file for an extension. That changes the expiry date to 1/1/2011 + the extension

They defer the course, that adds 1 year to the expiry date.

Thus, in rough outline, Start date + 2 years + extension + 1 year if deferral = Expiry date.

That correct?

• 4. Re: Complex Date Calculation
                beckles88

Its not quite that simple:

A student starts the course on 1/1/2010. They have until 1/1/2012 to complete the course unless...

They file for an extension. That changes the expiry date to 1/1/2012 + the extension

They defer the course, that adds how ever long they defer to the expiry date.

Therefore I solved it with the following calculation:

Course_Start Date + 730 + Course_Extension Period Days + Course_Deferral Period

Couse_Extension Period Days = Course Extension x 31

(Uses If(not IsEmpty))(The company will forgive a day or two)

Course_Deferral Period = Course_Reinstate Date - Course_Deferral Date

(Uses If(not IsEmpty))

Thank you for all the help.