AnsweredAssumed Answered

Complex portal problem

Question asked by Wimmachine on Feb 2, 2011
Latest reply on Feb 2, 2011 by philmodjunk

Title

Complex portal problem

I'm in the process of constructing a mockup and I'm having an issue with a 'drill down' portal displaying the proper related records. Here's a rundown of the pertinent relationships:

Project --< Submission --< Assignment >-- Employee

Assignment --< Time

I have constructed a layout showing records from the Project table.  On this layout are 3 portals that are set up to auto-filter in order of relationship:

- Submission
- Assignment
- Time

Not sure if I can explain this but.. here's how it works:  Click on the first record in the Submission portal, a global field is set and the Assignment portal is filtered on that global, showing all Assignment records (e.g. Employee names) for selected Submission.  Works fine.  I have the same system set up at the Assignment level.  Click on an Assignment record and the Time portal auto-filters for all Time records linked to that Assignment. The filtering works, but the related Employee Name that is displayed is wrong.

I don't think this is a relationship problem, because when I look at the Time table layout, the related data in the Employee::Name field is correct, it's just not displaying properly in the portal..

Example with IDs:  
-  Project01 has 1 Submission record:  Sub01
-  Sub01 has 2 Assignment records:  Assign05 & Assign06
          -  Assign05 Employee is John Adams, Assign06 is George Washington
-  Assign05 has 2 Time records, Assign06 has 1
-  The Time portal filters by Assign ID properly (e.g. if I click on Assign05 in the Assignment portal, the Time portal auto-filters and displays 2 records ID'd as Assign05), but the Employee::Name is always George Washington

I can try to provide more info if necessary. Thanks for your help!

Outcomes