2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2014 10:57 AM by CrystalSigulinsky

Complicated AutoFill

CrystalSigulinsky

Title

Complicated AutoFill

I am a newbie to creating databases and am using Filemaker Pro 13 on Windows 7 Professional.

I've read the forum posts on "Auto Fill" and "Can't get Lookups to Look up..." I followed the advice by PhilModJunk regarding creating two tables and defining a relationship between matching fields that uniquely identifies a customer, for example. I can get both options to work.

My problem is that I need to have 2 separate autofills in the same record. I am trying to use Filemaker for managing my animal colony. Thus, My 1st table is called MouseColony in which I have records for every mouse regarding their unique identification number (UID), sex, strain, genotype, birthdate etc. Then I have a 2nd table for matings called MatingRecords. Here, I want a single record for every time I mate a given female with a given male and the outcome of that mating. In these records, I need the UID, strain, and genotype information for both the male and female from the MouseColony table. By creating a relationship between the two tables using the UID (MouseColony::UID = MatingRecords::UID), I can use either the look up values or auto fill methods to populate the strain and genotype in the MatingRecords record when I enter the UID for either the male or female. I cannot figure out how to get it to work for both the male and female separately. I can't figure out a joining table that works either. I know there is a way to do this from work in my previous lab, but I don't have access to the files nor their creator to figure out how it was accomplished.

MouseColony fields: UID, sex, strain, genotype, DOB, etc.

MatingRecord fields:  F UID, F strain, F genotype, M UID, M strain, M genotype, mating date, # pups, etc

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

CLS