AnsweredAssumed Answered

complicated import series - do I need to move records between tables?

Question asked by tmlutas on Dec 5, 2010
Latest reply on Dec 20, 2010 by philmodjunk

Title

complicated import series - do I need to move records between tables?

I have a situation where I have dozens of import files, all subsets of a larger database (voter records). I cannot simply import the full database. I only have access to slices of the larger datasets for various legal reasons. The task I need to do is to import a list, let's call it 2010 general election, mark all the records as having voted in the 2010 general election and then import the 2010 primary file, mark all the records as having voted in the 2010 primary, etc, etc back for a decade. Then keep on doing imports for various affiliations (left handed pipe fitters, etc) all of which have to not overwrite the existing status information. Oh, and it's all got to be doable by your average local politician who gets access to these sorts of data sets and guards them jealousy (in other words the solution has to be fully scripted to add new types of status stuff on the fly via the GUI inside a runtime). Searches might be along the lines of left handed pipe fitters who are not catholics who voted in the 2007 GOP primary.

The solution I'm thinking about is to have an import table, run my import, add the status bits that need to be added on existing records and move new records over to the actual records database. Is there a better way?

Outcomes