7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2010 9:15 AM by philmodjunk

Computed Column on layout

BrianWilliams

Title

Computed Column on layout

Is there any way to create a computed column on a layout?  I want to display records in different parts of the layout depending on another field in the table.  I know you can filter a portal, but this is not a portal.  Thanks.

• 1. Re: Computed Column on layout
          philmodjunk

Can you give an example of what you mean by "different parts of the layout"?

This might be as simple as sorting the records to re-arrange them on your layout.

• 2. Re: Computed Column on layout
            BrianWilliams

Yes - I have a membership group table that keeps data for membership groups - as in family members.  This table has group members names and email addresses, but also has the members email address.  I want to display the members email address apart from the members in his group or family.

• 3. Re: Computed Column on layout
              philmodjunk

How are you storing the "group members names and email addresses" in your table?

This sounds like data that should be stored either in a related table or linked via a self join type relationship--likely with a join table if people might be members of more than one group.

• 4. Re: Computed Column on layout
                BrianWilliams

We have what is called a family membership.  Someone pays five more bucks and their family members are considered members.  Members and family members can have more than one email address so I put all the emails into one table.  The email has an owner identifer which is set to spouse, child, etc.  So a member will have a record in this table regardless if their membership is a family or group type.

• 5. Re: Computed Column on layout
                  philmodjunk

Which means you want to only show a specific email from this table of related email addressed, correct?

How can you tell which of the related records belong to the member instead of being the email address of a family member?

Do you have an additional field in this table that identifies the member's email in some fashion?

• 6. Re: Computed Column on layout
                    BrianWilliams

Yes, as I stated previously,  an email has an owner identifer which is set to member, spouse, child, etc. 

I want to show the member email address in another location on the screen.  So my computed column - if possible would show email address where the identifer is "member".  The other column would show email address where the identifer is other than type member.

I guess I could have two portals with a filter. 

• 7. Re: Computed Column on layout
                      philmodjunk

Yes, a portal with a filter would be simplest. I was looking for that value on which you can filter to isolate the record. You can configure portal borders, etc to be invisible so this just looks like another field on your layout when you are in browse mode.