1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2012 1:31 PM by Fagreement

Concat string

Fagreement

Title

Concat string

simple question:

i qm using the following statement to filter a portal in a FM layout:

PatternCount ( GlobalFields::gField7 ; GlobalFields::gCriteria7)

the issue is that GlobalFields::gField7 contain let's say DocumentName and I want to concat Document:: with DocumentName to have finally this:

PatternCount ( Document::DocumentName ; GlobalFields::gCriteria7)

how? cause ("Document::" & GlobalFields::gField7)  doens't work with the PatternCount formula

• 1. Re: Concat string
          Sorbsbuster

Does the field GlobalFields::gCriteria7 really contain the text:

"Document::This is the name...etc" ?  That is, it has double colon ::, and NO spaces between the word 'Document' and the document's name?

• 2. Re: Concat string
            Fagreement

yes GlobalFields::gCriteria7 really contain the text.

how can i do something like this

PatternCount ( 'Document::' & GlobalFields::gField7 ;  GlobalFields::gCriteria7)

• 3. Re: Concat string
              Sorbsbuster

If, for example:

GlobalFields::gField7 contained the text "My First Novel"
              and
              GlobalFields::gCriteria7 contained the text "ent::My F"

then this function

PatternCount ( "Document::" & GlobalFields::gField7 ;  GlobalFields::gCriteria7)

should return a value of 1.

But I don't really understand how you are using these parameters to filter anything if they are all global fields.  By definition all reords will have the same value, so you will either see all records or none.

• 4. Re: Concat string
                Fagreement

no, it doesn't work like this, i test it already.

PatternCount ( "Document::" & GlobalFields::gField7 ;  GlobalFields::gCriteria7) return 0 while it should return 1.

in fact if i do PatternCount ( Document::DocumentName ;  GlobalFields::gCriteria7) it works, it return 1 !

that's turn me crazy !

• 5. Re: Concat string
                  philmodjunk

If I use:

PatternCount ( "ABC" & "xyz" ; "cx" )

I get 1

If I use

PatternCount ( "ABC" & Table::Field ; "cx" )

where the field stores"xyz", I get 1.

What value do you expect "Document::" & GlobalFields::gField7 to produce?

If gField7 stores "xyz", that expression returns: Document::xyz

• 6. Re: Concat string
                    Fagreement

I have a table named Document where i have a field named DocumentName. In DocumentName i store the value "general"

I have another table named GlobalFields where i have a field named gField7 and gCriteria7. in gField7 i store the value "DocumentName", and in gCriteria7 i store "DocumentName"

in the portal, it is the table Document that is mapped. in that portal i want to filter records to have only Document records that satisfy DocumentName = "General"

but this statement return always 0: PatternCount ( "Document::" & GlobalFields::gField7 ;  GlobalFields::gCriteria7)

while this statement return 1: PatternCount ( Document::DocumentName ;  GlobalFields::gCriteria7)

• 7. Re: Concat string
                      philmodjunk

IF

gField7 stores the text: "DocumentName"

gCriteria7 stores the text: "DocumentName"

Patterncount ( "Document::" & GlobalFields::gField7 ; GlobalFields::gCriteria7 )

will produce the same result as:

PatternCount ( "Document::DocumentName" ; "DocumentName" )

Which will evaluate as 1 (True) for every record in your portal. It will not filter out any records.

Sure you don't have "general" stored in gCriteria7? Then you'd get a result of 0 (False) for all records and your portal would be empty.

If you entered "General" in gCriteria7, you could use this expression for your filter:

Patterncount ( GetField ( "Document::" & GlobalFields::gField7 ) ; GlobalFields::gCriteria7 )

• 8. Re: Concat string
                        Fagreement

sorrrrrrryy

"general" stored in gCriteria7

yesss, that's what i'm searching GetField ( "Document::" & GlobalFields::gField7 )

it works, thanks.

remain the 2nd part of my question:

gOperator7 field may contain AND or OR (list box that the user use)

gField8 contain DocumentDescription

how can i do a complex filter si;ilar to this:

Patterncount ( GetField ( "Document::" & GlobalFields::gField7 ) ; GlobalFields::gCriteria7 ) gOperator7

Patterncount ( GetField ( "Document::" & GlobalFields::gField8 ) ; GlobalFields::gCriteria8 )

• 9. Re: Concat string
                          philmodjunk

Evaluate (

Patterncount ( GetField ( "Document::" & GlobalFields::gField7 ) ; GlobalFields::gCriteria7 ) & gOperator7 &

Patterncount ( GetField ( "Document::" & GlobalFields::gField8 ) ; GlobalFields::gCriteria8 )

)

• 10. Re: Concat string
                            Fagreement

Evaluate (

Patterncount ( GetField ( "Document::" & GlobalFields::gField7 ) ; GlobalFields::gCriteria7 )

) works fine

Evaluate (

) works fine

Evaluate (

Patterncount ( GetField ( "Document::" & GlobalFields::gField7 ) ; GlobalFields::gCriteria7 ) & gOperator7 &

) doesn't work (with gOperator= OR ), it return 0

• 11. Re: Concat string
                              philmodjunk

Hmm wonder if you need a space character before and after the gOperator7 field....

Evaluate (

Patterncount ( GetField ( "Document::" & GlobalFields::gField7 ) ; GlobalFields::gCriteria7 ) &" "& GlobalFields::gOperator7 & " " &

) doesn't work (with gOperator= OR ), it return 0

• 12. Re: Concat string
                                Fagreement

yes! you are the best

thanks

• 13. Re: Concat string
                                  Fagreement

i have a pbm if GlobalFields::gField8 or GlobalFields::gCriteria8 is not filled

instead of that, how can i always use the statement that you defined:

Evaluate (

Patterncount ( GetField ( "Document::" & GlobalFields::gField7 ) ; GlobalFields::gCriteria7 ) &" "& GlobalFields::gOperator7 & " " &

)

• 14. Re: Concat string
                                    philmodjunk

I don't see the problem. Doesn't

return zero (False) if that's the case?

That should then evaluate correctly.

Hmmm, if BOTH are empty, you might get an empty string instead of 0. You might add a + 0 in that case to get:

Evaluate (

Patterncount ( GetField ( "Document::" & GlobalFields::gField7 ) ; GlobalFields::gCriteria7 ) & " " & GlobalFields::gOperator7 & " " &

Patterncount ( GetField ( "Document::" & GlobalFields::gField8 ) ; GlobalFields::gCriteria8 ) + 0

)

1 2 Previous Next