3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2013 8:34 AM by philmodjunk

concatenate date and time

PeteTheFreeze

Title

concatenate date and time

Dear all,

A client implemented a way to jump to the last modified record as he found it here: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1270/~/how-to-create-a-script-that-goes-to-the-last-record-modified

This seems to work most of the time.  In one of the databases, however, it goes to the wrong record. (No matter how many records you create, the script always goes to the same (wrong) record.)

Is there a mistake in the method? I would think so, because the post in the link is pretty old. The method concatenates a date and time using the ampersand character. This doesn't seem a correct procedure. Or is it OK to do that and shou;ld I look for a mistake somewhere else?

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: concatenate date and time
          philmodjunk

Wow, didn't know a chestnut that old was still in there.

Today, use a timstamp field that auto-enters the modification timestamp.

And you can then sort on that field to find the records with the most recent timestamp or perform a find in this field to pull up records in a particular range of values or that are greater than a specified value.

• 2. Re: concatenate date and time
            PeteTheFreeze

Yes, I am ware of that. But where do the wrong results come from? I know there is an easier/more elegant method, but I have to update all databases. So, my question still is: is the method in the link correct (as in: does it function as it is suppost to)?

(My question is NOT: what methods are there to accomplish the task?)

• 3. Re: concatenate date and time
              philmodjunk

Why waste time with an option set up for FlieMaker 5.5?

Why not use one that works and is far simpler to implement?

(No offense, but I don't choose to spend the time analyzing the details of that very out dated method in the KB article, a quick skim was enought to tell me that it's not a good option for today's systems.)