1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 5, 2013 12:17 PM by philmodjunk

Concerns on growing uncontrollable of Transaction Ledger for Inventory

henryhu91

Title

Concerns on growing uncontrollable of Transaction Ledger for Inventory

Hello Phil, I've a question on managing inventory using transaction ledger 

Managing Inventory using a Transactions Ledger

I've been testing out and using the idea in my database. I'm concerned about having the transaction table growing so big and take long time to load up for users to use. 
           I'm tracking my parts quantity with even when parts are on the way (Pending). so I take me 4 records at least to process one part. 
           from when it gets Order(Pending), Receive from Order, Ship to different location (Pending), Receive from Shipping.
           can you give me any thought on it? I'm using FM12 Pro advanced and hosting my db on the server with FMS12.

Thank you 

• 1. Re: Concerns on growing uncontrollable of Transaction Ledger for Inventory
          philmodjunk

You can "condense" your transaction records via script, replacing a set of transaction records for the same inventory item with a single record showing the total balance in the "in" field for the set of records thus replaced. This produces a kind of "balance forward" entry to take their place.

This can be scripted and your transaction records can be exported to a different table for archival purposes if there is a need for that.