3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2015 10:26 AM by ZacherieWalker

Concurrent page numbers between layouts..

ZacherieWalker

Title

Concurrent page numbers between layouts..

Due to some of the FileMaker challenges I've had with creating this long report, I've had to break it down into several layouts.  

I'm having a huge problem with getting the {{PageNumber}} on each layout to flow with one another.  Basically, I want to have the  ( Previous Layout Page Total + Current Layout {{PageNumber}}  ) of <<Total Pages>>

(Not sure if that was the correct format but that's the only way I could explain it)

I have several layouts and I'm just utter confused on how to get this to work.  The Get (RecordNumber) only reports that total number of records in preview mode; it doesn't flow from page to page.   Is this at all possible with FileMaker?  My end goal, as well, is to collect the total pages of all the different layouts, append them all to a PDF and have that Page# of PageTotal be concurrent. 

I'm really not sure if I explained this correctly.  Please let me know if it's confusing.

• 1. Re: Concurrent page numbers between layouts..
          philmodjunk

Add an unstored calculation field like this:

$$GlobalVariable + Get ( PageNumber )

Or use:

Table::GlobalField + Get ( PageNumber )

The trick is to set the global variable or global field to the number of pages printed from the previous layout. This script is one way to do that.

#Perform this script with the preceding layout current:
          Enter Preview Mode [] ---> clear the pause check box
          Go to record/request/page [last]
          SetVariable [$$GlobalVariable ; value: Get ( PageNumber ) ]

• 2. Re: Concurrent page numbers between layouts..
            ZacherieWalker

Also I just want to add that there could be several pages in each layout.  The problem I'm having isn't getting the total number of pages for each layout, but more or less my Page# field isn't displaying correct between the pages.  

Layout 1:

{{PageNumber}} of <<Total Pages>>

This displays the Page# of Total correctly for first layout.  I have a global field for this first layout to get the total number of pages, which is triggered by a script. (gFirst)

When I go to the second layout, I have a calc field set for this layout (gSecond):
            Get (PageNumber) + gFirst

Now, this will display the first page of the second layout correctly.  However, when I go to the second page of the second layout, it displays the same number.  Basically the number isn't moving between the pages. 

• 3. Re: Concurrent page numbers between layouts..
              ZacherieWalker

Okay so basically I just changed gSecond to "Do Not Store Calculations" and it works perfectly.   

I feel silly.