6 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2014 2:02 PM by lijnbach

Conditional "browse" mode.

lijnbach

Title

Conditional "browse" mode.

Hello everybody,

Nothing urgent, a translation problem. In FMP there is a function, I think "browse" function in English. In lay out mode I can put a field in “browse mode” on or of with a check box.

What I want to know, is there a function or expression to make this browse function conditional?

In other words, keep a field visible, but make the field not accessible in certain cases.

Hans Lijnbach.

Browse.jpg

• 1. Re: Conditional "browse" mode.
          philmodjunk

If your users each use their own password to open the file, there are options in Manage | Security that can be set up that control which records can be edited and which cannot for a given table.

See "Editing record access privileges" in FileMaker Help and check out this particular sub section: "Entering a formula for limiting access on a record-by-record basis" for a description of how to set this up.

• 2. Re: Conditional "browse" mode.
            lijnbach

Hai Phil,

Thanks for you reply. I know I can use Manage - security for records and tables. But. that is not the case. It is about a field. Sometimes users are not permitted to change a field, and sometimes they are, if certain conditions are met.

And the condition does not depend of the user, but depends on certain conditions on the lay out.

The conditions are not the problem, I can handle that in a script. But I am looking for an expression or function to make the field or "accessible' or "not accessible". (Browse or browse not). But I want to the field to be visible on the lay out. I don't want to hide it. (Just change the color if it is not accessible).

If there is no function or expression, it is no disaster, just more work.

Hans Lijnbach. 

• 3. Re: Conditional "browse" mode.
              philmodjunk

There is no such function in the current version of FileMaker.

Yes, script triggers such as OnObjectEnter can control access to a specific field, but you may still find Record Level Access control or a Validation calculation in field options to be worth a second look. Both options control access at the data level so that access is controlled no matter what layout is current at the tims. They can both be calculations that take into account "current conditions" and you can use RLA's ability to control access to a record to control access to a field under certain circumstances. Whether the extra design work to make that happen is worth the results produced is up to you to decide.

• 4. Re: Conditional "browse" mode.
                lijnbach

Thanks for your reply Phil,

I will take a good look at both options you suggested, and figure out what the best way is to handle this situation. But the problem is, the situations changes while users are working on a lay out. If one field mets certain conditions, the other field should be accessible or not.

I will find a way, that is not the problem. It only would have been less work if there had been a function.

And, it is good to know that there is no function, I don't have to search for it anymore. (Because I am used to English expressions and functions, and because of the forum is in English, I already spent a terrible lot of time to find the Dutch translations). 

Thanks Phil.

Hans Lijnbach

• 5. Re: Conditional "browse" mode.
                  philmodjunk

the situations changes while users are working on a lay out. If one field meets certain conditions, the other field should be accessible or not.

And that was my understanding. a "lock expression" in manage | security or a validation calculation in field options can be an expression that includes such fields and thus controls access that changes when values in those fields change. (A validation option allows the user to attempt to change the field's value, but then rejects it and displays an error message. This isn't very user friendly, but can be a good "insurance policy" to use to back up layout based efforts to control access to the field.)

• 6. Re: Conditional "browse" mode.
                    lijnbach

Hai Phil,

I will take a closer look at it.

Thanks.

Hans Lijnbach