5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2011 4:10 PM by RobertSchweizer

Conditional "custom" value list

RobertSchweizer

Title

Conditional "custom" value list

Hi there,

is there a way to have a conditional value list, that is not based on another table but instead of couple of value lists?

For Example:

I have two fields "Country" and "City".

"Country" is a drop-down-list of the costum value list "Countrylist".(custom value list = all values entered manually into list, not generated out of any table or field, etc.)

"City" is a drop-down list of of the custom value list depending on what country was selected.

Now I know there is the possibility to do this by making another table that holds two similar fields, and I could have the field City display only related values (related to the country selected) etc.

But my question is, if it is possible to have the same thing set up, but instead of choosing to only show related values from a different table, have another custom value list as options.

Another example: I have three custom value lists.

Value list A: Books, Magazines, Newspapers

Value list B: Website, Forum, Blog

Value list C: Movie, Series, Talkshow

And now for example if I enter print in the field "selection", the field "medium" is set to give me the options of value list A.

Again if i enter "TV", I get the options of value list C. But remember all of those lists are custom and NOT values from a field in a table.

Thanks in advance for any answers related to this issue.

• 1. Re: Conditional "custom" value list
          philmodjunk

No way to do that. Table based value lists are very easy to maintain and work with, so I don't really see the need for this.

What reasons do you have for not basing your list of values on a table?

• 2. Re: Conditional "custom" value list
            RobertSchweizer

Wow, thanks Phil for your fast answer.:-)

Well,"my" reason is ease of use for the client. Having a custom value list, the client can edit it "on-the-go", if he is missing a value. He doesn't have to go to the related table and make a new record, but instead clicks on "edit" and just adds a value to the value list.

• 3. Re: Conditional "custom" value list
              RobertSchweizer

I thought maybe a CASE calculation could do the trick, since the values of the selection field are limited.

So for example Case ( table::selection = print ; ValueListItems ( "file" ; valuelistA ) ; ... ) .

Something like that, if you understand what I mean (I'm far from a pro :-))

• 4. Re: Conditional "custom" value list
                philmodjunk

Table based value lists can also be edited "on the go".

You add an "edit" button next to the value list field that takes him to a layout where the table of values are displayed. You can even use New Window to pop the list up in a small floating window. Unlike custom value lists, you can enable spell checking, sorting, formatting, auto-enter calculations and validation rules to make editing the value list more user friendly than a custom value list. Those options wouldn't be needed for a short list, but as your list of values grows, such features can make managing the list from a table much easier than a custom list.

There is one case where a custom value list still has an advantage over table based lists: You can specify an order for the values that is not sorted in ascending order. There is a trick for forcing a different order for table based value lists, but you lose the use of the second value column and it works best only for fairly short lists of values.

• 5. Re: Conditional "custom" value list
                  RobertSchweizer

That sounds just like what I need, and you are right, this offers more usability than my idea.

Thank you...